08 April 2012

Witherington Farm teams of 4, 07/04/2012

Another round and another peg, this time 4 in the top RH corner, this gave me an island chuck and also both margins looked good for a few fish as to my left was an empty platform well within reach and to my right a really nice looking reed bed.


For bait I mixed up 3 pints of groundbait and pellet mix for the feeder, I had the compulsory tin of 6mm meat, 3 pints of hemp and some 4mm and 6mm pellet for feed. I also mixed up a bit of paste at the start but did not expect to use it for a while; I hoped that my scoop feeder on 8lb reel line with a 0.20mm bottom, a 16 QM1 rigged on my 10 ft Force bomb rod and a new Browning Ultimatch reel would see me getting some early action. I clipped this up within a meter of the island and then proceeded to set up the rest of my kit starting with a paste rig for my left hand margin, this comprised of a 4X10 big H paste float on 0.20mm mainline to a 0.18mm bottom and a size 5 Tubertini 175. I started with this on 17H elastic through a heavy tension puller kit on my Z9 but that later changed to 13H through 1 section of a power match kit. I also set up a meat rig comprising of a 4X14 Drennan carp 2 on 0.18mm mainline to a 0.14mm hooklength and a size 2 Tubertini 175, this I had set up on yellow Browning Reflex elastic. There was a small silty depression at 6m in line with the end of the island that would be easy to feed by hand so that was that line sorted, I also set up a skimmer rig to fish at 13m but the less said about that the better. Finnally I set up a waggler rig on my CC Superlight float rod with 4lb maxima to a 0.14mm bottom and a 4g loaded pellet wag as the island was definitely further away than I had first thought, this was to fish polony if I saw any submarines cruising through.

At the all in I fed my 13m line with hemp and pellet, my 6m line with meat and hemp and then my left margin with hemp and 6mm pellet, before I launched the feeder to the island, over the next 45 minutes I had a load of liners but no fish whereas Gary on the next peg started to catch skimmers on the wag, nearly one a bung, so I needed to do something and had a look on my long line. I had 2 indications over 20 minutes and that was a 3oz skimmer and I dropped a tiny roach both on 4mm pellet, that was enough to sway me and I decided to concentrate on the carp for the remainder of the match. I alternated between the left hand margin, a new margin line that I started to my right, the meat line and a few chucks towards the island on the tip and wag. I managed 3 skimmers and 2 carp from the left hand margin, a carp on the meat line and 4 foul hookers from my right margin, as it turned out at the end I needed one more carp for 2nd in section and 2 or 3 more for a section win. I had lost 4 from the right (1 was hooked in the mouth but bust me off in the reeds hence I changed that rig onto the 17H).

The scales told me that I had 33lb 14oz, 2nd had 37lb and Gary ended up with 54lb plus of mostly skimmers all on the wag and pellet. It’s that time of year again and the K&A Teams of 4 start next week so it’s all change in my kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment