19 September 2014

Thames Teams of 6, 14/9/14

It was a pilgrimage back up to the Swan at Radcott for the Thames Champs this week, 17 teams of 6 were in the pot fighting it out for the title.  I was fishing for the Southwest Nomads and the team also consisted of John, Dave, Kev, Ian and Trev so we had a half decent team, all we needed was a good draw. John managed to deliver on that front and all but one of us were close to the end of a section, I had E15 and this turned out to a couple of hundred yards upstream from where I was last week. In the middle of a field of cows I found my peg and was quite disappointed that I didn’t have a feature but as people turned up it appeared that I had around 8 pegs downstream without a person.



Looking at and plumbing around the swim I decided on a simple plan of a pole line in the flow, a worm line against the reeds to my right and the waggler across, there was a nice little depression just downstream of my peg and this is where I decided to put the groundbait at 11m.  I was ready well before time even though I had set up 2 rigs for roach, a rig for hemp the worm rig and I also set up a feeder rod just in case it was really hard or a breakage.
Bait was simple as well with a couple of pints of maggot, caster, worm, hemp and some groundbait, I also had some pinkies tucked away in reserve just in case it was a tiddler day like last week, this all tied in with the rough team plan of catch as many fish as you can in 5 hrs.  As the all-in was called I cupped in 6 balls of groundbait at 11m and fed a pinch of worms and caster in next to the reeds, I shipped out over the pole line and ran a maggot down the swim, on the second run through I was greeted by a gudgeon, next run a small chub, I thought I was I for a good day when I had another chublet and small roach all within the first 15 minutes and then it was time for the first boat of the day. As soon as it passed I dropped my bait into the still churning water and the float buried, as I struck the elastic poured out of the pole and I knew that I had something special on, judging by the head shakes it was another chub but his time much bigger but I will never know as it swam off downstream and the 0.08mm bottom was not man enough and parted.  I was gutted but carried on, I rested the main line and took a few small perch from the worm line but that died quickly like last week. I topped up both lines and tried the feeder to no avail for 15 minutes so it was back onto the main pole line again.
This is where the day started to go wrong as I could not catch enough numbers of fish from that line and they were all about 60 to the pound I decided to try and make something happen so I topped up with 3 balls of groundbait with no feed and then left this to settle by chucking the waggler out. I managed 2 small chub over the next 15 minutes but it was hard work and again the fish seemed to back off, this wasn’t helped by most of the boats that were coming through chugging over my waggler line. Anyway, I persevered and swapped between the pole and the wag for the rest of the match, I managed a couple of wasps of the worm line, they were about the same size of the hookbait, and then it was a case of getting my head down on the tiny fish from the pole line.
The last hour was better with a 3oz perch on the wag and another a bit bigger on the worm line but really I was happy to hear the all-out.  I was frustrated and fully expected to be last in section as the scales started their journey up the section, I was really rueing the lost fish. I weighed 3lb 4oz again and this was enough for not last so far and I beat the guy to my right which is always nice, I drove up the section after packing up asking others how they had done and it seemed as though I would be about halfway up the section, so I felt a little better.
Back at the pub I reported in and the rest of the team arrived to give us an idea of where we had come and it seemed as though we had done alright, but due to work commitments I had to disappear off before the results were read out. A text later told me that we were 4th by a point, so yes I regretted that lost fish but there is always next year.

What I would do different:

In future I will be stepping up my hooklengths at the beginning of a match and lightening up if I have to after that.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment