01 November 2014

Withy Teams of 4, 01/11/2014

A couple of weeks ago I got asked if I would fish for Dandys K2 on the withy Teams of 4, well being at a loose end most Saturdays because my better half works I accepted not even asking what lake I would be on.  I arrived at the cafĂ© to a nice welcome from my old team mates and new ones as well as everyone else at the draw.  Bacon butty eaten, worm collected and tactics discussed the draw took place and I was off to peg 36 on the outer snake.



I will be honest and I do not get on too well with the outer snake most of the time so when I drew middle of the section, on the wrong bank and with the ripple finishing just to my left I thought that I was in for a grueller.  I set up a skimmer rig for 11.5m, a meat rig to try and mug a couple of carp on and a margin rig, I also set up my new Spectron 10ft tip rod with a small method feeder.  Bait was just as simple, 4mm pellet, method mix consisting of 50/50 micros and groundbait, 6mm meat, a few expanders and some dead maggot.
The all in sounded and I cast the feeder against the mud on the far bank and started loose feeding pellet on my skimmer line and that sums up my first hour and a bit, one positive indication that I missed.  I tried the skimmer line at this point and managed a couple of quick fish but they didn’t like me catching there friends and got finicky really quickly so I decided to try fishing down the edge like I would across.  This consisted of using my big pot to feed a walnut sized ball of method mix and 5-10 cubes of meat next to the platform down to my right. Over the next 30 minutes or so I had 4 or 5 decent skimmers on this line, re feeding after every fish with the same amount of bait.
At this point I moved back onto the skimmer line and had another quick run and this is how my day panned out until the last 30 minutes of the match, I had a half decent net of silvers but needed a final push of carp to get decent points.  I went down the edge over the top of a small ball and 5 cubes of meat and within 45 seconds I was attached to a big angry carp, it gave me a bit of a run around before I was able to net it but at close to 8lb it was worth it. I managed 3 more carp and a couple of silvers over the next 25 minutes in the best spell of my match and the all-out came as I was least expecting it.
I had gone a quid with Nick Mac and he was claiming that I had won it, I agreed but we still had to weigh in to prove it, Jay on the end peg had 58lb 1oz then there was a mid 40lb a 58lb 2oz then Nic mac on 20lb odd. Next to Nick was Ray ‘the bagger’ Hayward and he managed about 30lb. I had 17lb of skimmers and 18lb of carp for 35lb plus change, and this beat all but 2 to my right, one of which was Jon Gray on the end who had over 70lb, all this gave me 5 points .
The team did well with Stumpy coming second in his section and John winning the second round on the bounce. I am off to the Nene this week so I need to swap all my kit back over…..again.

What would I do differently?

 Would use bigger hookbaits on the method, the double dead res was getting ragged by tiny fish with me failing to hook a fish. 
I would fish a pole line where I was chucking the feeder until the wind became too strong rather than just fishing the tip.

I would put in a couple more lines just to try and find a few fish, 5 hours is a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment