05 January 2015

Holidays Catch up

Well as the title says this is a bit of a catch up from the last couple of weeks, after the Todber Christmas match a few things have happened that have not been for the better but I have managed to get out on the bank quite a lot (when the wife has been at work!!)

I started on a trip along the K&A canal chasing carp and trying to become a video blogger, I had now decided to concentrae on some pounds in the town itself as it is walking distance from my house, thus saving time and fuel.  The first trip saw me sat on a likely looking swim with an overhanging tree.





The carp had other ideas and it was a blank with nothing seen or heard but I learnt a bit about the day to day life on that stretch of canal so was ready for the next time.


Travelling light was the key as it was a 25 minute walk.
My next trip out was on Christmas day to take the wife for a walk and to do a cheeky pre-bait on a few spots, it was a nice walk with plenty to see.






I was back down the canal a couple of days later to fish over the pre-baited spots and I managed to get 3 bites and loose all three even after diving in to try and free one of the carp from the snag it was wrapped around. I will say at this point thanks to the lady who was trying not to laugh too much as I froze in the 4 degrees water, it is NOT reccomended that you just jump in to a canal to free a fish, I thought I may have a chance of getting it un looped from the snag it was in but I was wrong and it could have gone pear shaped very quickly.  Anyway it was the lowest I have felt in a long time to have finnally found the fish just to loose 3 and the weather decided to try and cheer me up by snowing at dusk, it failed.


I was out again a few days later this time with Jim on a trip to Todber manor, we had decided to fish Wadmill so I could chuck a couple of carp rods out and hopefully get a bite whilst he fished the pole, we didn’t however count on the weather.


We decided to fish even with the ice and Jim managed to put a few small fish together fishing maggot on the pole, I tried everything I could but didn’t feel as though I was anywhere near where the carp would be.


In hindsight I should have smashed a channel out into the middle of the lake as soon as we got there and then gone for a walk smashing more ice with the breaker to try and get the fish moving around.  Might have worked?? (might also have annoyed a few people!!)
It was a nice day out with good company all the same, Jim was soon bagging with the best of them and I managed to get a go on his box and show him how to catch quicker (and avoid another blank).


Next stop was back up to Shearwater with Daz and Ben, they were setting up on the dam wall as I arrived and even after I asked if we could go to where I thought would be better for the carp we ended up sitting on the wall. I was a bit perturbed as I had packed my longer range carp gear with me and a quick marker up in front gave me depths of 23-25 feet.  I decided that zigs would be the way to go and set up a couple of Zig floats, I spodded out some cloudy groundbait with a little bit of food at 60yds but only managed a couple of bream and hybrids on them.




Daz and Ben both managed to catch a few bream and I even bumped into Rob Hughes as he was drop shotting for perch, it was another good day with plenty of banter…well mostly me moaning about being sat on the dam wall but never mind.

This takes me up to my latest trip which saw me going up to a new complex of club lakes looking for some very special carp, I fished for about 24 hours on one of the lakes for one liner and a few bubbling fish and I took a tour of the others.


It looks good and I cannot wait to get back up there especially since I learnt far more walking around the lakes talking to people rather than sitting behind motionless bobbins.
Until the next time my last 3 solo carp trips can all be found at this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment