13 January 2018

AAF Gp 2 Match 3, K&A Sells Green and Foxhangers

It’s that time of year again and I was starting my quest to do well in group 2 again and I am not sure if I will even be able to fish 5 matches again this year, but this was my first.  It was off to the K&A again but this time on a stretch that I have only every carp fished a few years ago, so I popped down over the festive period for a couple of cheeky practices.  The first went well in a pound behind the Barge Inn I managed around 8lb of small skimmers and roach over groundbait, the next day I went along pound lane and struggled in atrocious weather conditions for 4 small roach and 3 waspie perch.  I knew where I didn’t want to draw.
Back to the day in question and we all met up in Devizes for the draw, pleasantries were passed and we were soon to business, there was a section around the marina at Foxhangers, a section down the straight and a final section behind the three magpies, as long as I wasn’t in B section along the straight I would be happy.  I waited until last out of the bag and peg A6 was waiting for me, which was the last peg before the bridge at Foxhangers, I was quite happy.
  


As I got to the peg I had a massive 10 meter walk from my van to my peg, and then it just got better as I had all the boats moored up to my left and I knew that this was a good holding area for fish.  My plan was simple, two groundbait lines one at 11 O’clock and one at 1 O’clock both at 13m as the bottom was nice and flat there, a method cast down towards the boats and finally a worm line that I would fish along the wall to my left.  I was almost ready for the all in, I am quite rusty at getting ready in time but as soon as it was called I fed 3 balls to the left and 1 ball to the right on my groundbait line.  My groundbait was a mix of black canal and lake with a few dead pinkies and caster in it, and then I cast the method down toward s the boats and set my stop watch for 15 minutes.  The plan was to try and mug a carp from down there but I decided to use dead maggots as hookbait so that it shouldn’t put off any skimmers from picking it up.

The first half an hour was uneventful so I was soon having a look on the groundbait lines, the right hand swim was the best at the start and I managed 5 small roach off it before it died and a short time later I bumped a skimmer off on the left hand swim so It was time to rest it and look elsewhere.  I had a look on the worm line for a small perch and another blank 15 minutes on the tip before having a look on the left hand groundbait line again.  This time the float dipped within seconds and skimmer number 1 was soon in the keep net and at nearly a pound it was very welcome.  But long story short at this point I refed my groundbait lines once too often and killed them both off so although I kept on looking I only managed another couple of small roach off them for the rest of the day.

I kept on having the odd look on the method and through the course of the day I was rewarded with 3 nice skimmers and I lost one but enough of that as it was a case of casting and if they were there I would get a bite pretty quick, if not it was a long 15 minutes.  The worm line produced 4 small perch throughout the whole day and at 1 point I plumbed a bread rig up to fish towards the boat at 14.5m, I was able to get a bit a chuck on that line but the fish were transparent so I discarded that and sat it out for bigger fish on my other lines.

I kept my tip rod in until last and had most of my kit packed up by the all out.  I only had my net and flask out still when Bri and Pete walked down with the scales and wow it had fished tricky for most.  I started to hear stories that along B section there had been a number of blanks, we walked up to the Crabtree part of the section and the guy on the end peg had managed a kilo and a half ish then there were two sub 1kg weights.  When the scales got to me I thought I had 3.5-4lb of fish, I actually had 2.1KG which is about 4lb 8oz by my dodgy maths so I was well happy.  Following the scales up Bri was the last to weigh and he had nearly a kilo and a half but had lost a big perch in the last 10 minutes, so I had managed to win the section so I was well happy.  When I got back for the results it turned out to be enough for 2nd in the match as well so not a bad day in all.

Thankyou Bri and your team for the seamless running of the match.

What would I do differently?

I should have started on a bread line and also possibly fished just 1 groundbait line further over towards the boats so that the fish had some shelter overhead.  I could have cast the feeder closer to the boats perhaps but there were people ion them and the last thing I wanted to do was hit one of the boats by accident.

Tackle used:
Feeder:
Rod: Drennan 10ft Series 7 Carp feeder.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 6lb Drennan feeder to 0.19mm powerline
Hook: 14 QM1
Feeder: 24g small Guru Hybrid

Pole Groundbait heavy:
Elastic: 5 slip
Line: 0.11mm powerline to 0.08mm Colmic Stream
Hook: 20 Polemaster wide gape
Float: 0.3g Drennan AS1

Pole Groundbait light:
Elastic: double 2 slip
Line: 0.11mm powerline to 0.08mm Colmic Stream
Hook: 20 Polemaster wide gape
Float: 0.2g Drennan AS3

Pole worm:
Elastic: Yellow vespe through 1 section
Line: 0.19mm powerline to 0.11 Powerline
Hook: 16 B560
Float: 0.3g Frenzee FP500

Pole bread:
Elastic: 5 slip
Line: 0.11mm powerline to 0.08mm Colmic Stream
Hook: 20 Polemaster wide gape
Float: 4X10 Carpa F1





No comments:

Post a Comment