07 November 2020

1st Nov 20 Salisbury and District AC match Hampshire Avon

Today it was off to the Hampshire Avon for my first club match on the Avon of the year.

I got to the draw that was being run as a rolling draw to keep everyone safe and I was given peg 14 out of the bucket, I had no idea where or what this was but a couple of the guys pointed me into the direction of an area known as the high bank.

 

On arrival I realised that I was carrying far to much kit as I had got a little bit warm on the walk from the car, I was met with a fast flowing stretch of shallow water under my feet and a slack produced by a branch in the water on the far bank, in all it would have looked better with another 2 foot of water in the river but beggars cannot be choosers (I would have moaned if the river was spot on for this peg anyway!) and I stared to set my kit up for the day.

 

Plan was to start on bread and then swap to maggot or caster as the day went on and then feed for a chub for the last hour, so I set up a Chub float rod, Roach float rod and a pole rig for across.

 

At the all in I used the pole to feed a small ball of bread into the crease downstream of my position and then I started on an 11mm Punch hoping to snare an early chub, well long story short, I didn’t managed to snare a chub bit I did get a few roach and loads of minnows for 4lb 10oz I think it was.

I really struggled to get more than 2 fish in a row from any area of the swim, I think it was due to the shallow water and water clarity but I really had to hunt around for any fish. I was also properly beaten up by the minnows as they were even eating treble caster! It was still a nice day and some of the guys had great days with two 18lb+ weights of roach coming in from in the town.

 

I didn’t hang around as was soon getting a nice warm shower and my tea.

 

What would I do different:

Draw better and stay on bread all day, I only switched to wriggly baits as I thought it was the done thing but maybe the feeder next time?!?!  I don’t know this time.

Use BB’s a bulk on crow quill to help with catching the correct flow!

 

 

Rigs used:

 

Chub float:

Rod: Cadence 15ft #2

Reel: Cadence CS10 4000

Line: 4lb sensor, 0.11mm-0.15mm Stream hook length

Hook: 13-11 B711

Float: 4g Drennan Loafer shotted with an olivette and bulk

 

Roach float:

Rod: Cadence 15ft #0

Reel: Cadence CS10 4000

Line: 3.2lb Drennan floatfish, 0.11mmStream hook length

Hook: 16 B560

Float: 2g handmade crow quill later stepped up to 3g due to the wind.

 

Pole:

Elastic: Preston 13H through 1 section

Line: 0.13mm to 0.11mm Powerline

Hook: 16 B560

Float: 1g Drennan glow tip 3

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment