13 September 2011

AAF Team Finals day 2, Oaks Sessay, 10/09/11

So it was crunch time, the match was being held on two lakes, Alders and Poplars, and I fancied a crack at the Ide on Alders so had my fingers crossed as Dave did the draw. Alders 4 was my peg and I quickly sorted out a gallon of maggot to take with me and ran to my peg. My peg was just over 14.5m to the far bank but with roots tight over I decided on putting my far bank paste line in about 18” of water 2 ft short of the far bank. My rig for this consisted of a modified Sconzone Float on 0.17mm line to a size 5 (175), this was rigged with red Vespe hollow through the top kit of my Z9 with a paste pot as close to the pole tip as I could manage. My main attack would be an Ide line and for this I plumbed up a 0.2g Handmade special to 3ft deep, this was rigged on 0.15mm main to a 0.11bottom and a 16 (808). To prevent me from bumping off the Ide I set this on Pink Vespe Hollow through a puller kit and this had an aerosol cap paste pot again fitted to the top kit to feed maggot. I plumbed uip both margins on a 2+1 line and found 2 areas the same depth, these would get the groundbait trick even though it was around 3 ½ ft deep down the edge and I also set up a paste rig to fish a 2+2 line at 11 o’clock (just in case). Bait was 2kg of margin groundbait, a tin of corn, a gallon of maggot, about ¾ pint 4mm wetted fishery pellet, 2 pints hemp and some paste mix.
At the all in again I watched as people cupped bait in all over the lake and I shipped out with my deck Ide rig, the cup was full of maggot and this happened 3 times in the first 5 minutes before I had my first fish a small roach. This was followed by another, then a small Ide and then the swim just came to life, I was catching Ide between 6oz and 2lb one a put in by feeding a pot of maggot and then dropping the rig in vertically on top of them, nearly every time the float would settle then dip under. This continued for 2 ½ to 3hours before I ran out of Maggot (a gallon!!!!!!) Kev in the swim to my right had taken 10 carp in the first hour but was now struggling; he asked if I had 20lb of Ide? My answer was that I had taken around 30lb of them in that period and had enjoyed it immensely, it was time for my back up plan so I fed the Margins with groundbait, the 2+2 line with hemp and pellet and then shipped across to the far side with paste hookbait and some hemp and pellet in the bottom of the pot. Within a minute I was getting liners and on my second put in I had a carp stretching my elastic well, this continued for the rest of the match and I was able to take around 20 carp to 6lb from my three carp lines until the end of the match. All bar 2 came from the far bank paste line and when we weighed in I had won the section with a weight of 45kg (nearly 20kg better than 2nd) I still dread to think what my weight could have been if I had sat on the far bank paste line all day?
Once we returned to the cafe it transpired that we as a team had had two lake wins and a 10th in section for 12 points, this added to the day before was a total of 27points. This score was enought to win the Army Team Championships and we missed out on the teams of 3 by 4 points coming a very close second considering 2 of the team only saw the venues on match day! This was an awesome result and I have to thank Pez and Dave Burford for fishing with me in the final, I have to thank Craig Bate and Dave Wallace for their efforts throughout the year at getting us qualified for the final. Next year apparently it is Heronbrook so we are going for 1 better and doing the double!

No comments:

Post a Comment