20 September 2011

MFS Todber,18/09/11

It was time for another visit to Park Lake at Todber Manor with the Match Fishing Scene lads, guys had come from all over and there was a really good atmosphere at the draw. Pegs 10 and 38 were the places that everyone wanted as they were the end pegs, however, 32 was to be my destination for the day. This is a standard 14.5m wide straight on the lake with a small bush to my right about 2m away, my plan was simple, short pole and the method as the forecast was for strong winds and rain across the south. I mixed a couple of kilos of method mix and dampened some 2,3,4mm pellet to mix in, and then prepped my 6mm pellet, hemp and corn for the track. I also had a few tins of 6 and 8mm meat cut ready for the edge, just in case. I pulled my 8ft Force wand out of the ready bag with a 30g Kobra flatty feeder, my 10ft Force Bomb was set up with a small pellet feeder just as a change. For the pole I pulled out 6 sections and decided to fish on the end of the 5th section as the depth was pretty even all over the swim. I set up a paste rig on 0.19 to 0.17mm and a ‘5’ Tubertini 175, this was set on Red Vespe and a corn/meat rig on green Preston hollow that consisted of 0.17mm mainline and a 0.15mm bottom to a size 2 175.
I was ready with bags of time to spare but for some reason I was still caught off guard by the all in, anyway, a pot of hemp and 6mm went down the track and then the method hit the clip against the far bank. After about a minute the tip wrapped round with carp no.1 on but that was the end of the good news as then for the next couple of hours no matter what I tried I lost too many fish on the tip, the main reason being that they were F1’s and they have very soft mouths in there. So I quickly set up 14.5m of pole as the wind had not picked up as promised, 3 put ins and 1 carp and 1 F1 saw it thrown up the bank as the wind arrived with a vengeance and made it very difficult to present a rig across.
I quickly tried the track rig and managed a couple of F1’s on corn so I gave it a big pot and decided to plumb up a margin rig, this ended up being my track rig as there was only 5 inches difference from the depth tight to the reeds and down the track. So my plan f for the last couple of hours was to be concentrating on paste down the track and meat/ corn down the edge. This kind of worked but it took too long to get working properly but when the carp finally turned up I was able to catch them at a decent pace. Down the edge again after a slow start with Tench and Perch on meat I took a few decent carp including my best at about 6lb, but it was too little too late. I had been listening to the guys to my right catching carp all day and so it was proved with the weigh in.
All four anglers to my right beat me 3 with ton+ weights and the last by 2lb, I did however, beat the 2 guys to my right but my total weight of 81lb ish was over a ton off first. I don’t think that I could have done much more the way I was set up and I kicked myself for going there with a pre conceived plan. Next time I will make sure that I have F1 rigs and bait with me so that I can catch something between hours 1 and 6!!  Anyway thanks to Mark for running a nice day again, next time can you book more sun though?

No comments:

Post a Comment