24 October 2011

AT WL Prac, Bristol Avon

This was my first ever trip to this stretch apart from the odd walk along its banks with the dog a few years ago, I had always fancied a trip there and was pleasantly surprised when B15 stuck in my mitt at the draw. When I got to my peg I had around 20m of width with most of the flow across, there was a tree overhanging just downstream of my peg and I fancied it for a few perch. I set up my platform and soon noticed that there may be a problem in the form of the local rowing club as they were obviously training and boats were up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Unperturbed I carried on and after mixing my ground bait I started to set up my top kits, my plan was to fish a long pole line for Roach, a short line with chopped worm and also I set up a waggler to fish across and downstream of where I was sat. My first rig was a 1.5g float on 0.12 to a 0.08mm bottom and size 20 on no.5 elastic and the other 2 Roach rigs were all the same apart from the floats, with a 1g pencil and a 0.6g nevis also getting set up. The inside rig was a 0.7g FP500 float on 0.14mm main to a 0.12mm bottom and a 16 wide gape match, due to the amount of weed I had this set on 10 solid elastic and I also chucked a weed rake out to 13m in front and to 10m under the tree as the plummet would not settle properly. My long pole line was at 14.5m to avoid the weed and find some flow so at the all in I cupped 10 balls of groundbait containing pinkie, caster and hemp out to the spot. I went straight over the top with my heavy rig double bulked and was rewarded with 4 fish in 4 puts before it got a little harder, then it was a case of catching a couple of fish and then changing something. After about 2 hours I had 30 fish for around 4lb when the rowers stopped, the wind picked up and my swim turned into an unfishable layer of pond weed.

The only way that I could get to fish was with the waggler, so that I did for small roach, chublet and bleak for the rest of the match. Over the last 3 hours I caught about a pound of fish due to being unable to present bait and I caught best when I dragged my float under the pond weed.
My match finished with a credible 5lb 1oz unfortunately only good enough for 3rd in section with a big 6 and a big 7lb weight both coming from further upstream to my right. I did however; beat the pegs to either side so that made me feel better considering the duckweed ruining my day. Always next week, the team had a reasonable day with a section win and a few other pickups.

No comments:

Post a Comment