16 January 2012

New Year Update

It has been a few weeks since my last blog, so I am catching up. I have fished 2 matches and had a few pleasure sessions since my last  post so here we go from the start. Firstly there was a trip to the Dorset Stour at Nutford to use up some maggot from the weekend, I decided to try out my new King Feeder All season feeder rod that I had got hold of for my river fishing and I thought that a few roach and chub should christen it nicely. I teamed it up with a Backfire reel and some 0.18mm Cenex feeder line, dropping a blockend feeder into a far bank slack for 2 hours gave me a tiny roach that hung itself on a long hooklength. I moved downstream into deeper water and missed a couple of rattles but that was it, the river had switched off as another guy only had a couple of tiny roach to show for a whole days trotting.

The rod however stood up against the flow well and was easy to cast the short distance across the river.
Moving on my next trip saw me at Revels fishery on an open match just after Christmas, I drew Trendalls this pond is usually reserved for the visitors to the camp site and after drawing I was told that I was on a flyer (Again!!). On getting to the peg I had an island 10m in front of me and a nice looking margin to my left, I also had Knocker sat in peg 3 about 10m to my right that cut off the point of the island and another guy in the peg to my left, that again restricted how far I could go.
As you can see the pegging was tight in areas but most of the carp in the lake hid behind the island that was in front of me as soon as we started fishing. I set up a maggot rig on yellow reflex elastic with 0.14mm mainline, 0.12mm bottom and a size 18 B911, and a margin rig that didn’t work and a short pole rig that didn’t work. My day was basically a non event with a lone carp and a handful of gudgeon on maggot to show for my line rotation and starting of new lines when I thought the fish may had backed off. My 4 1/2lb was not last on the lake but I lost £2 in the car park to Dave and Tom whom were both sat on the main lake and caught over 20lb. Next door to me Nick fished at 14.5m just past the point of the island and ended up with 35lb+, and the guy in the bottom corner had around 40lb for the lake win.

This prompted me to go out to Todber in the week to catch some fish and I basically fished exactly the same tactics that I had done at Revels to end up with around 40lb of fish in 4 hours off Whitepost Lake. I basically fished the same rig as the weekend with maggot, I started by kinder cupping in small amounts buy soon realised that because I was the only person on the lake more aggressive feeding got rid of the roach and pulled the small carp in.
The next trip was off to Shearwater to try the King Feeder at long range method fishing and also to get some fish in the net, I set up a 10ft and 11 ft Force commercial feeder rods with the bomb and method respectively and also the King Feeder with a method feeder with a Backfire 030 reel and 0.18mm Cenex Feeder mainline. The methods were set up inline and I clipped the long rod up at 60 turns and the 11fter at 35 turns. I caught 46 Bream to 5lb, a 12 lb Carp and a perch all on the method, when one line slowed (no bite within 5 mins) I would switch t the other line and was usually rewarded with a fish straight away.
The day had been that much fun that I decided to return the following week and try further up the lake in the shallower water to try and catch more carp. I also decided to just fish at range so I set up the King Feeder again this time with a 30g Banjo feeder on my 3rd cast I had a bream and caught steadily throughout the day on 8 and 10mm magic marbles in white and yellow. Over the last few sessions I found the King Feeder All Season to be an really good medium to long range bream rod, it coped very well with carp to double figures and the soft tip prevented any hook pulls under the rod end that you usually get with more tippy long range offerings. Anyway, I finished this time with only 35 Bream to 6lb and a lone carp, I caught fewer fish due to having to bring them all in from 65yds out, and the last couple were from 72 and 82 turns that is around 75 yds out.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment