09 December 2012

AAF Gp2 Fur and Feather


It was back to Witherington Farm again for the annual Christmas match and I was a little late getting to the lakes after a small spot of stomach trouble the night before, that was not going to stop me though and I was there for the draw. Peg 10 on Cottage was my spot for the day (after a slight Mayo rejig) so there was a distinct feeling of de ja vu, the plan was the same as the weekend although, I had added a waggler rod but doubted whether I would be able to use it due to a cross wind.
So the all in came and again it was groundbait at 11.5m, maggot at 5 and tip at the island, this time I had also added a pellet line at 14.5m towards the island to see if the fish were in the shallower water and did not want the groundbait. The bomb and bread went out at the start and after 10 minutes I had a positive indication that saw me pick up the rod, go tight on a fish that ran along the Island and then dropped off, I was not impressed as it was a QM1 that it had come off and this doesn’t happen often. Back out to the island and I managed a small carp on the bread but there were fewer liners and indications than at the weekend so I was soon looking for other options.
I went in on my groundbait line, I had upped the float from last time to a 0.7g FP500 to counteract the stiffening breeze left to right, again it was 0.16-0.1 and a size 20 Tubertini 808 on pink browning elastic. Again it was slow, but I was able to put a few small fish together, I tried the inside line but the response was alot slower than at the weekend so I started feeding pinkies to try and get a response.
The inside rig was a 4X10 Carpa F1 with a strung shotting pattern 0.12-0.08 and a 20 Silver fish match, elastic was a double no.4, I looked overdepth and shallow but it was obvious that they were not settling anywhere. My break came in the last half hour when the wind died slightly and I was able to go out onto the 14.5m pellet line, this gave me a run of small skimmers but is was not enough as the guy on peg 9 had been catching carp steadily on ‘bread’ on the method and John Dewberry on peg 7 had snagged a few better carp on pellet on the pole out of the corner.
As the scales came round it turned out that my low 5Kg weight was only enough for 4th in section as Chris (I don’t use pullers) Perry had bored a carp on late in the match on his skimmer rig.
It was a good day with a great crack so I hope that I can make it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment