24 December 2012

Todber Christmas Match, 15/12/12


It was time for the annual pilgrimage to Todber Manor Fisheries for their Christmas match, I do not usually take any Christmas match seriously due to the fact that they should be fun and this one did not disappoint  I drew peg 37 on Park lake, one off the flyer for once and with Will Bohne for company on peg 38, Mark Poppleton on peg 5 and all the rest around I was guaranteed a few laughs even though the weather promised to be crap.
My peg was a standard 14.5m wide so I set up a rig for across, a carp rig and F1 rig for 6m and also my new Commercial King 8ft F1 Wand that I had received earlier in the week, this got set up with a small scoop feeder just in case the weather was truly against us.
Bait for the day was pellets, pellets, a few maggots and ½ a tin of corn, at the all in I went out to 6m fed 10 4mm pellet and dropped a 4mm expander into the middle, it took around 10 minutes for my first fish, a skimmer followed quickly by a 6lb carp. Now at this point I thought that I had cracked it straight away but after a slow next 30 minutes I was forced to battle the wind and go across the far side for a few small carp.
I was going nowhere and had nothing to lose so out went the tip rod, this was quickly christened so I decided to stay on that and tried to build a maggot line down the track, this never worked and I managed around 10 carp on the tip over the last couple of hours.
I finished with 55lb odd and this was enough for 5th over all, I won a quid off Pez but was harry’ed with 80 odd pounds to my left and 58 to my right. Mark won the day with nearly a ton from peg 5, well done mate. Same time next year but can we go back onto Wadmill??

No comments:

Post a Comment