15 June 2013

Wadmill 06/06/13

Todber Practice, 6/6/13

Having been back I the country for less than 48hrs, it was guaranteed that I was going fishing very soon and Wadmill Lake at Todber manor fishery was my destination for the day.  My goal for the session was simple, a twenty pound carp on the float, so I walked around the top end of the lake to find an empty peg with plenty of room, between the third and fourth islands.  I decided to start on the long pole fishing shallow, so I pulled out two top kits both rigged with blue reflex elastic, the first rig was my ‘normal’ shallow rig and consisted of a 0.2g FP 850 float, 0.18mm mainline to a 0.14mm bottom and an 18 PR36 with a hair rigged bait band. The second was a ‘slapper’ rig, on this one the line, elastic and hook were all the same but the float was a small 0.2g FS200 dibber. I shipped the standard shallow rig out and started to ping some 6mm pellet around it, it didn’t take long for a response and I soon had an 8lb carp in the net, this was followed by a twin after about 40 minutes but it didn’t quite feel right.

I decided on a change of tack and set up a pellet waggler and also a short pole rig for meat, the meat rig was again blue reflex and 0.18 mainline but the hooklength was 0.16 and I had a size 2 Tubertini 175 and the float was a 0.3g MW diamond as it was around 6ft deep and a bit of a breeze was causing a little tow.
I fed half a pot of hemp and meat on my 5m line and then started to work the pellet wag, the rig started off as a small loaded float trapped on the line with float stops (pellet slider) but the presentation did not feel right especially with the sun being out and all the carp in the lake seemed to be in the top foot. I decided to make a change, stripped the rig down and set up an unloaded pellet waggler set 2 feet deep, this proved to do the trick and I managed to sneak a few fish out on it up to around 14lb.


The meat line produced a couple of big skimmers and a carp but it was much harder work, I mostly used the day to try some things out on the waggler and this was successful. I ended up with 13 carp and a couple of bream for well over 100lb, I just hoped that I could do the same at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment