19 February 2014

16/2/2014- Viaduct WL rd 3

This week I was going to be sat on Cary, I was hoping for a good draw with loads of open water to go at as the weather running up to the event had been up and down to say the least.  I was on 20 hrs notice to move for flood relief duties (as was Rocky)  because of the amount of rainfall over the previous week but the Saturday night had seen clear skies, a full moon and a stiff frost(-3 deg C).
Trev came away from the draw with peg 79 for me, he was on 9 (not good) Rocky on 3, Ivan on 73 and Steve was on 113. Straight away we needed Rocky and Ivan to have a good day and my plan was to catch 3 carp as the cold clear windless conditions were not good silvers weather.



So I set up a waggler to fish meat or corn at a variety of depths, I also plumbed it up in case I ended up trying to feed some meat for skimmers and I set up a bomb rod to fish anywhere I could. To cut a long story very short, I cast out the tip on the all in and again every 15-20 minutes to no avail, I started to feed a meat line and managed a solitary skimmer at about 3 and a half hours. That was my day, apart from watching a lot of foul hooked fish getting landed from the far bank and having someone moan about me casting too far (Tom). I did get spells of liners but no matter what I tried I could net get the tip to go round, to my left a foul hooked carp and to my right Chris managed to get a properly hooked carp with 20 minutes to go.
My skimmer went 9oz and this was enough for 2 points (at least I didn’t blank) If I had caught 6lb of silvers it would have been good enough for another 2 points so I was right to go for the carp to get better points, it just didn’t work.
The others did not do much better and we ended up with a possible record low score, still it could have been worst I could have had a proper swim poacher:



Canal next so I should get a couple more bites…..

No comments:

Post a Comment