23 December 2014

Shearwater day out, 22/12/14

After my bad day at Todber I had arranged to meet up with Daz at Shearwater to get rid of some bait, with a stiff westerly forecast I got there early to reserve a couple of slightly more sheltered swims opposite the boathouse.
I had decided to fish a groundbait feeder at around 30yds but those plans were scuppered when I broke my quiver tip on the third cast, I wasn't happy. Fortunatly I had brought a few spare rods so I banged a banjo feeder out 65 turns of my Ultegra 5500XTC, the hook was baited with 3 dead reds and it didn't take long for the fist bream to hang itself on the 45g feeder.
I got bored of this after the 4th Bream and decided to set up a waggler to get rid of all the spare maggot that I had, I used a 14ft Acolyte rod, a 4AAA insert waggler with 5 No.8's down the line in 6 feet of water.  I decided to fish quite heavy due to the hoped for bream and had a 0.10mm hooklength to a size 18 B911 F1, I threw in a few balls of my groundbait that I had mixed for the feeder and then started loose feeding maggot over the top, all the time I was fishing the long range feeder for a few more bream and a shallow wag at 40yds to no avail.
It was soon time and out went the waggler baited with double maggot, I missed the first couple of indications but hen hit this pearler of a roach:



After that it was near enough a bit a chuck and the trick became hitting them in the choppy conditions, I found that I could miss a bite at the back of the feed and then get a skimmer at the front and I soon got into the swing of things. I was also having to feed two whole pouches of maggot to keep the fish down in the water.
Daz was also having a great day and he ended up with 31 bream to 4lb all taken on the method feeder in line with the buoys, I don't know how many I caught in the end but I had roach to over a pound, perch to a pound, a few rudd and lots of bream to 4lb all on the waggler I also managed a dozen bream of 3-4lb all on the long range feeder.  As I was packing up my kit I started a new line at 85 turns and had a few off this as well, no carp though.
Once again Shearwater has come good and I cannot wait until I go back, I might even try the pole!!

No comments:

Post a Comment