07 December 2014

Withy Teams of 4, 06/12/14

It was back down to Witherington farm for the teams of 4 this weekend and after a week on exercise I was looking forward to it, I was on the outer snake again and after the last time I was pretty confident of a decent day but the weather decided to throw and oar in at the last minute. 

As you can see I was there nice and early but there was a cheeky frost and half of Selwood was under ice, I had my breakfast and then got my briefing off John before the draw took place.  Kev came back with end peg 24 that made me happy, then gave me my dead reds and off we went to our respective pegs.


For the day I set up a dobbing rig, a skimmer rig, a method and a rig for the base of the near shelf off to my right, at the all in I fed one skimmer line with a small ball of groundbait and dead reds, some corn and caster down the edge before dobbing up and down the near and far edge to no avail with 3 maggots.
45 minute in I tried the feeder for 15 minutes with no indications so went onto the skimmer line, by this time the guy on the peg to my left had managed to dob a carp and had a couple of skimmers on his silvers line so I needed a start to my day. It came quickly on the skimmer line as I had a pound skimmer quite quickly but then nothing, not even a sign of a fish. I started another 2 skimmer lines and started to rotate, it took another hour for skimmer 2 and then skimmer 3 another hour after that. Everyone I the section had been catching as far as I could see so I spent the last hour and a bit trying for a carp with no joy.

The tale of the scales was that I was last in section with 3lb 2oz, from the end peg so I was not too happy at the end, but it seemed that a lot of people struggled with a few blanks from all for the lakes so at least I had avoided that. My section was won by Graham Hougton with 33lb odd from the middle of the section, so well done mate, I don't know who won overall as disappeared early to make up from exercise week.

What would I do differently?

Take more coffee and biscuits and possibly start playing candy crush.


I don’t think I could have done much more apart from wait for a carp all day and that was not in the plan and may have seen a blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment