16 January 2016

AAF Group 2 Revels Fishery

It was a bit of a turbulent start to this match as I was running it due to Craig having to work and I made a few controversial decisions on the morning, anyway that aside it was to be a silvers only match over four sections spread across three lakes!?!?!?
The draw got underway and Pete drew me out peg 3 on Dead Tree Lake, not a too bad area by all accounts and as I walked past some of the other pegs on my lake I knew that people would be in for a struggle, which is not ideal.  My peg looked like this:


I had a multitude of options but decided to fish 2 pole lines at 13m both with chopped worm slop and groundbait, I then set up a waggler to fish maggot towards the far bank and finally I set up a margin rig to fish in the roots of a tree stump to my left hoping for a few perch.
I called the all in and fed a ball of worm slop on both 13m lines and then I started by trying to mug a perch down the edge but that lasted all of 5 minutes and I was soon on the waggler.  I had a slow start and by the end of the first hour I had 3 skimmers in the net, Ivan and Bri to my right were catching a few roach on maggot so I fed a few maggots in a couple of balls of worm mush but continued on the wag for another 20 minutes.
The fishing was never hectic but I managed to plod along all day, the swap to maggot was like flicking a switch as both of my pole lines came alive with small roach and the odd better skimmer, again it was never hectic but I just plodded on putting weight in the net.
I lost 1 carp on the wag and landed another on the pole, on an 0.08mm hooklength and a 20 Gamma Green hook, so I fortunately was not plagued by them like Griff was on peg 1 to my left and he had to put back 5 carp in the end.
Rotating lines was key but they all died off as the day went on and I didn’t even get an indication down the edge or on worm long.  As I called the all out there was a collective sigh of relief as it was all over.  Bri and Ivan had been catching fish all day so I thought that it might be close, Ivan said that the majority of his fish were tiny so that boded well for my bag as I had a few netters, I was still annoyed with myself for losing two decent roach at the net though, both 4-6oz fish, I was hoping that it would not cost me.  Griff DNW’ed as he had to run off for a hospital appointment that was sprung on him at 3pm!! Then there was 700grams I think to my left, I had 3.390Kg, Bri Had 2Kg+ as did Ivan but Bri had the bragging rights by 40grams if I remember correctly.
Back to the results and I drew with Rocky for individual Glory, Nomads ‘A’ took the top team spot oh and Bri should have paid into the pools as he would have picked up a section 2nd and match 3rd!!

What would I have done differently?
I would have liked to have fed one of the long lines differently with caster perhaps but it seemed to be a maggot day so I am not sure if that would have made a difference.

Tackle used:
Pole Long:
Elastic: Yellow Hydro
Line: 0.13mm to 0.12mm Cenex dropped down to 0.08 later
Hook: 16 B911 F1 dropped down to 20 Gamma Green Later
Float: 0.2g AS3

Pole Margin:
Elastic: White Hydro
Line: 0.15mm powerline to 0.12mm Cenex
Hook: 16 B911 F1
Float: 0.3g AS4

Wagler:
Rod: Browning Champions Choice 13ft Super Light
Reel: Daiwa TDM 2508
Line: 0.18mm Supplex to 0.10mm hooklength
Hook: 20 B560
Float: 5BB Dave Harrell Insert waggler, swapped to 3AA Sensilite later




1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, I've been reading for a while and I've now added you to my blog list, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete