15 January 2016

Shearwater Practice

I had a spare place in the van and Craig hadn’t fished Shearwater before so off we went.  I gave him the grand tour before we started to set up on the road bank opposite the lawns area, the reasoning being that there was decent depth in that area and the weather had been colder of late. I decided that I would mostly be practicing the long range method and clipped my long range outfit up at 75 turns of my reel, this equalled approximately 87 yards (Big reel), and my bait was 50:50 groundbait and pellet in a 45g Guru Hybrid feeder.  I cast the rod out as I started to set up my waggler rod for later and as I was treading the tip section the rod went round with an angry carp attached.  It put up a good account for itself but was no match for the gear that I was using and a low double was soon nestling in the net, I would have got a photo but I dropped it whilst trying to show it off, Ha poetic justice I suppose.  No harm was done to the fish as it landed in a foot of water and was swimming as it touched the water.
Back to the fishing Craig and I had been joined by Pete before this and the other two were raring at the bit after my early success, and soon we were all getting stuck into the massive bream stocks within the lake, the other two were catching a lot of fish and their clickers soon showed that they had turned me over so I set up a shorter range method rod and started a new line. Again the fish were quick to respond and I was soon keeping up with the other two, but even though it was just for fun the bragging rights would have required a monumental effort on my behalf.
We all steadily caught and we all tried our short pole or waggler line with no bites for any of us, which was a surprise, back to the long range rod though I had another quick carp and then decided to put on a head cam for a couple of hours, the video can be found below.
All in  all it was a great day, Bragging rights went to Craig followed by Pete both with over 90lb on their clickers, mine read 70lb but I had managed to try some things out and also tested my long range rods against each other.

What would I do differently?

As I have a group match coming up soon on the venue I would have to say use strawberry crabsticks as bait because that’s what Craig told me he was on?!?!?!?  Seriously not a lot I need to work on my accuracy at range so I can see a few more trips down there in the near future, I am also going to add some more weight to a couple of feeders to see if I can get that extra 10 yards.

Tackle used:
Feeder Long:
Rod:  Browning Black Viper 14 or 13ft
Reel: Shimano Ci4 Ultegra 5500 XTC
Line: 8lb sensor mainline, 0.19mm hooklength
Hook: 14 QM1 with a baitband
Feeder: 45g Guru Hybrid with black hydro

Feeder Short:
Rod:  Drennan 12ft 6inch Medium feeder
Reel: TDM 4012
Line: 8lb sensor mainline, 0.19mm hooklength
Hook: 14 QM1 with a baitband
Feeder: 36g Guru Hybrid with black hydro

Wagler:
Rod: Drennan Acolyte 14ft
Reel: Daiwa TDM 2508
Line: 0.18mm Supplex to 0.10mm hooklength
Hook: 20 B560
Float: 3BB Dave Harrell Insert waggler




No comments:

Post a Comment