12 August 2016

Emergency ServicesNational,Larford

I had once again been selected to represent Fosters Team Army in what we know as the Emergency Services National, the team was myself,Gaz, Gaz, Jase and Colin with Boris chasing up after us.  We all met up nice and early and had far too much time to chat about all things fishing and after asmalldelay waiting for breakfast the draw was in full flow.

Iwas going to be sat on Speci Lake peg 32 for the day and as it tuerned out I was the end peg on the Burr bank, always nice to find out after I have walked from the main car park with my kit. AsI turned up there were loads of fish showing at about 50 yards so that would be my main line, I also decided to feed a pellet waggler line, down the edge to my right as there was noone in that dirdction and also a short line.

I was ready for the all in even after a pellet disaster, the 2mms didn't like water, and this cost me 20 minutes and £7 to rectify for sorting 4 pints of pellets.  The cure was to soak the 4mm for 1 minute, drain and then add the 2mm's dry, this made a very nice method mix.
I fed the shortline with a pot of hemp, meat and corn and then sent the methodout to an easy distance and put the line in the clip, I was only going to wait a few minutes for each chuck fot the first hour of the match.  Twenty minutes in and the tip went round with an angry carp on, by keeping the riod low I was soon netting it and sending my pre preppared feeder back out to the spot.  I picked up my catty to feed the waggler line and the tip was around again!! Carp number 2 in the net within 4 minutes was not too shabby and when the third came in just as quickly I thought that I was in for a bumper day, but as quickly as they had turned up they were gone again.  I had a brief look on the waggler and was rewarded with a carp on my deeper rig, but a dfistinct lack of any more indications and with the rain coming in it just didn'tfeel right so it was back out on the method.
 At about the 2 and a half hour mark I had another run of three carp from the method line and I am sure that by using the X-Safe feeder and getting the rig back into the water as quickly as possible was the reason for my landing three carp as others were landing the odd one.  I am pretty sure that a big group of carp were just moving uip and down the lake in front of us as people were catching in turn.
With 2 hours left I started to concentrate on the short line and the margins, this resulted in a couple of small skimmers and 2 smaller carp from the short line and one landed and two lost from down the edge, ithad been quite cold compared to recent times so that may have explaned the lack of fish down my right hand edge.
The all-out was soon upon us though and it was actually a relief, I had managed my target of ten carp and thought that they would weigh around 100lb, or so I was hoping.  I was the first in the section  to be weighed and my 3 nets came to a to total of 84lb 10oz, so my small carp were considerably smaller than I had originally thought.  I got my gear into the van just as another rain shower hit and went back along the lake to help witht he weighing in... as it turned out my weight had been enough to win the 16 peg section so in my mind it was job done, I also think it was the top weight on the lake and I had heard that the top weight off Arena was only arund 30lb so the venue had fished hard all around.
We had a burger and chips waiting for all of us in the clubhouse after the match so that we could compare our woes, and at the results it transpired that the team had done enough for 4th or 5th but it was enough for first in the money so that was a nice surprise.
Thanks to the team running it, as again it was a well run event and thankyou to the friendly stahh at Larford for another warm welcome.

What would I have done differently:

I do not think that Paste down the edge was right so I should have fished paste short, than meat and corn down the edge.  Maybe spend less time thrashing the water to a foam on  the pellet wag and I should have dropped the feeder onto the loose fed line.

Tackle used:
Pole short:
Elastic: Green Colmic hollow
Line: 0.19mm to 0.17mm
Hook: 2 T175
Float: 0.6g Drennan Carp 4

Pole dobbing:
Elastic: blue Colmic
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 18 Guru Pellet wag with baitstop
Float: 0.4g Crystal dibber

Pole Margin:
Elastic: 17H yellow
Line: 0.19mm to 0.17mm
Hook: 5 T175
Float: KC Carpa Margin 4X10

Method:
Rod: Drennan 11.5ft medium feeder rod
Reel: Daiwa TDM 4012
Line: 8lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 14 QM1
Feeder: 24g large guru method feeder

Pellet Waggler deep:
Rod: Drennan 12ft Acolyte Carp waggler
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 4lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 16 Guru Pellet wag
Float: 6g Preston thin pellet wag

Pellet Waggler shallow:
Rod: Drennan 11ft Team Daiwa pellet waggler
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 4lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 16 Guru Pellet wag
Float: 3.5g unloaded drennan crystal pellet wag

No comments:

Post a Comment