05 August 2017

Royal Signals Coarse Angling Championship Day 1, 03/08/17 The Glebe

I would be lying if I said that I did not fancy my chances going into this week bearing in mind that I have started to focus more on Big Carp fishing for the last 12 months or so, but, my run up form was not too bad with 4 matches over the last couple of months resulting in 2 match seconds, 1 match 1st (all section wins) and a DNW on my new bogey venue.  I may do a catch up blog just to wrap those all up… watch this space.
Back to the day in question and I drew peg 88 on Lake 6, I was quite happy with this as it was only 2 pegs away from where I had been fishing on the practice day so I was sure that there would be a few fish short and down the edge in the last couple of hours so the plan was another simple one. Feeder and pellet wag for the first couple of hours followed with paste and corn short and down the edge, if it was hard start looking at putting some weight in the net from anywhere.
The match started well with a few fish coming on the feeder over the course of the first couple of hours and I think I had about 20lb at this point.  Again I started to attack the feeder swim and this brought the fish up in the water following the splash of the feeder, so out went the pellet wag and I managed a few quick fish before back to grafting on the feeder. Another trick that worked was to drop the feeder about half a rod length short and this again gave me a few fish during the quiet spells.  The weather was doing its best to scupper the fishing as the wind was horrendous and I was glad that I was not on Lake 1 as the wind was off our backs but occasional showers were making it a jacket on and off kind of day.
With about an hour and a half Chris on the next peg, 86 decided to concentrate on his left hand long margin, this was good for me as he stopped feeding his short line.  I was soon on it after a half pot of bait and the fish were queuing up again in the last hour, I managed a lot of fish in that time and probably caught 70-80lb in the last hour, half of which I caught in the last 20 minutes when some bigger fish turned up on my paste line.
As the all-out was called I was hoping that the far end of the lake had fished as hard as it had for the guys around me, there were tales of woe as loads of fish were getting lost.  I think a lot of this was the fact that the carp were not happy feeding until the later part of the day and that then you needed to feed positively to drag them down onto the bottom and create the competition in your swim.  I also believe that the hemp helped draw fish in and that by feeding bigger heavier particles it was easier to keep the fishes heads down.
The scales showed that my 135lb 9oz (61.645Kg) was enough to win the lake and therefore the section by 40lb so I was quite a happy chappie.  It was also enough for second in the match behind an 87Kg weight from Pool 1 so that improved my smile no end.  Day 2 would see me on Pool 1 so I decided to take my time packing up, tidy uop my kit a bit and prep some of my bait for the next morning so there was no rush, hopefully the prep would pay off.

What would I do differently?
Not a lot really, I really enjoyed my day but possibly a 10ft rod would be easier on that lake as it is not as wide as some?

Tackle used:
Feeder:
Rod: Drennan 11’6” medium feeder 2oz tip.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 4012
Line: 8lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 14 QM1
Feeder: 20g guru open end feeder with 5g of extra lead

Pellet wag:
Rod: Drennan Acolyte Carp waggler 12ft.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 0.20mm Supplex  to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 14 QM1 (thanks Kev)
Float: 6-10g Preston pellet wag

Pole Corn:
Elastic: Preston 13h
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 3 T175
Float: 0.4g Drennan Carp 3

Pole Paste:
Elastic: Preston 17H
Line: 0.21mm to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 5 T175
Float: 4X10 Big H Paste

Pole Margin Paste:
Elastic: Preston 17H
Line: 0.21mm to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 5 T175
Float: KC Carpa Margin 4X10




No comments:

Post a Comment