05 August 2017

Royal Signals, Masters and Clubman match, 02/08/17

Once again I was gracing the banks of the mighty Glebe Fishery in Leicestershire, for this match my partner was Steve, it was going to be an easy day for me on the coaching side as I had sat behind him a couple of years ago and he had been sat on the same lake the day before during a practice session.  Speaking of the day before I had been sat on peg 90 on Lake 6 and as I had some casters left over from the day before I had decided to see if they would work shallow.  The simple answer was no and I had seen enough of other people catching on the short pole to know that this was the way to go.  I had still managed nearly 130lb though and a lot of that had come from down the edge in the last hour, I managed 40lb in the last 20 minutes!!!
Back to the day in question though and we were on adjacent pegs Steve on 70 and I was on 71 on Lake 4, it was really nice as we could park behind our pegs, the plan was to fish the feeder for a couple of hours and then corn or paste short and paste or corn down the edge.  I didn’t set up a corn rig for down the edge as I have too much faith in paste at this venue.  The feeder was slow for both of us and after the first couple of hours I had 20lb in the net and Steve had about 30lb.  I suggested that it was slow due to the changeable weather and that it would get better later, I was proved right and again over the last couple of hours my feeder and short paste lines started to produce a few fish. I had to feed positively on the feeder line so I was recasting every 20 seconds to try and draw fish into the swim and it worked for a quick run of fish.  When I moved onto the short line I was struggling with liners as a lot of the fish seemed to be sitting a few inches off the bottom, but, positive feeding with a big pot ¼ full of 6mm pellet, hemp and corn soon had them feeding on the deck again and again.  I managed to have a really good run again close to the end where I put about 40lb of fish in the net over the last 30 minutes and I managed to finish with 144lb 2oz of fish.  Steve did well and managed around 70lb of carp and bits but this was only enough for us to come 4th overall as a pair, we did however, win the lake so that was a nice bonus. We would have had to go some to beat Adi and Terry on Lake 5 as Adi managed a massive 200lb+ weight on his own!!
The main plus of the day was chatting with Steve and trying to make him better at casting and also to try and get his head away from the F1 fishing that he is used to.

What would I do differently?
Due to the weather I should have had some dead maggots for the feeder and also tried different hookbaits more.  The short Paste line was my saviour, but it only really woke up in the last hour or so, which means I may have to look at how I am feeding it.

Tackle used:
Feeder:
Rod: Drennan 11’6” medium feeder 2oz tip.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 4012
Line: 8lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 14 QM1
Feeder: 20g guru open end feeder with 5g of extra lead

Pellet wag:
Rod: Drennan Acolyte Carp waggler 12ft.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 0.20mm Supplex  to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 14 QM1 (thanks Kev)
Float: 6-10g Preston pellet wag

Pole Corn:
Elastic: Preston 13h
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 3 T175
Float: 0.4g Drennan Carp 3

Pole Paste:
Elastic: Preston 17H
Line: 0.21mm to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 5 T175
Float: 4X10 Big H Paste

Pole Margin Paste:
Elastic: Preston 17H
Line: 0.21mm to 0.19mm Powerline
Hook: 5 T175

Float: KC Carpa Margin 4X10

No comments:

Post a Comment