07 July 2011

R.Sigs Championships, 2011

So we were all off to Heronbrook Fisheries for the 2011 R.Sigs Championships 2011, Canal and Match were the lakes involved and each would have 14 anglers around them over the next two days.
Day 1 saw me drawn on Canal peg 12, this is in the middle of the stick ups and as soon as I got to my peg I knew that it would be an interesting day, I also had a little cut out down my left hand margin on a 2+2 line that was earmarked for later. The across line would be simplicity itself, I took a power kit with Red Vespe hollow through it and proceeded to pull the elastic out and cut it off 5 ft shorter with the idea to stiffen it up. This was attached to an animal rig with 0.19mm powerline straight through to a size 3 Tubertini 175, my float was a new Frenzee fp 850 set at 2 ft deep and my hook bait would be meat as I didn’t have any bread.
I set up a standard paste rig on a 2+3 line at 45o to my right and a margin rig that was the same as the across rig down my margin to the left. I thought it may be a hard match so did not want to spread the fish around too much. At the all in I fed ½ a pot of hemp and pellet on my paste line and shipped across towards the reeds with my Dobbing rig. After 3 hours it was 4 all between the fish and I but all of my fish were f1’s so frustrated I went for a walk around the lake to see how it was fishing. Before I went I put a full pot of bait on my Paste line and a pot of hemp and 6mm meat down the edge. It was obvious that it was fishing hard every where and even the end pegs were struggling so I decided to persevere and over the last 2 hours of the match I managed to take about 10 Carp from the margin and on the paste line for a total weight of 44lb 4oz. This was enough o give me 2nd out of the serving members and so I went into day 2 with 2 points. I had been categorically beaten by my mate Pez who took over 70lb from end peg 35 mostly down the edge in the last hour.

Day 2 saw me drawn on the far side of Match Lake just as the old Match and speci lakes join together, this gave me a multitude of options but I decided to try and keep things simple. (I would regret it later) I clipped a method up to a hole in the reeds to the island margin in front of me, I plumbed up a paste line on a 2+2 just to my left and I plumbed up a left and right hand margin swim.
At the All in I fed my paste line again with hemp and pellet before casting out the tip, after an hour I had 4 decent F1’s in the bag but they had backed off so I was starting to sctratch already, the paste line wielded a few skimmers and the margin gave me 1 carp of 6lb and a couple of roach. All my fish came from the method line to the island and after 3 I would have to rest it by fishing somewhere else for upto an hour. Not good. I finished with 38lb+ which was enough for 4th on the lake but fortunately it gave me 2 points again, unfortunately Pez had 1 again and it also transpired that M.Cullip had the same in the other section.
Overall I was 3rd with Pez taking top spot forcing Martin into second by total weight, it had been a great fun couple of days and I am really looking forward to next years wherever I will decide to hold it. Next time I will definitely set up more options on Match Lake though as I think that another couple of lines for a few fish could have seen me squeak the section.

No comments:

Post a Comment