20 June 2011

Orchard Lakes Sunday Series, 19/06/2011

It was off to Orchard Lakes again with Pez in tow for the Sunday Series, after the customary banter and a bap I managed to pull peg 3 out of the bag. This draw did not fill me with joy as I knew it could be good or rubbish but unperturbed I decided to set up a small preston pellet feeder for the far bank. I also set up a margin rig that consisted of a 0.3g Frenzee FP800 on 0.19mm main and a 0.17mm bottom to a Tubertini 175 In size 3 (about a 14), I also set up a paste fig to fish on a 2+1 and that was it, I was done.
At the all in I put a pot of hemp and 6mm meat down each margin and then cast the feeder under a large plant on the far bank, after 30 mins I was in trouble with 3 fish on the tip to Baz‘s 10 to my right and the guy to my left on peg 1 was doing the same. I tried the margin early with no indications and also tried the paste to no avail; it was that desperate that on an hour I set up the pole to fish across at 13m but even that was really slow! At the end of 2 hours I only had about 25lb in the nets so I decided that a brew and walk could help the old brain matter, I took a brew over to Pez (we had a bet at the start for a brew to the winner, I thought pre-empting my defeat would save some blushes later in the day) to see how his day was going and saw elastics coming out all over the lake. I returned to my swim and decided to start again with something different, I still had a kilo of worm with me from the river matches so a pint was loosely cut and mixed with hemp, corn and pellet. I fed a pot down the RH Margin and toss potted the MUNGA down the left, the results were instant with Carp and barbell hanging themselves on half to ¾ of a dendra almost every put in. I stuck on these two swims until the end of the match and could only hope that it would be enough to drag me back up the section. I was on the board (Again) so got to see what people had caught, Baz had caught steadily all day and weighed in 190lb of fish all on paste (i know cause I was watching for 2 hours) the guy to my left had 165lb ish and I was in the middle with a comeback weight of 113lb. This considering my start was a respectable weight and my day was made even better when it turned out that Pez would be buying the brews as he had a poor couple of hours for 103lb.
1: I think that I struggled so much at the start as I had no real plan so I was flitting around 3 or 4, once I had a clear plan it was easier.
2: Orchard is bringing in bait limits as of the 1st July so that could change the way to approach the venue!
3: Never give in ( if I had sacked it I would have been in dire straits in the league)

No comments:

Post a Comment