08 March 2012

Witherington Farm Teams of 4 03/03/2012

I was looking forward to this match as the previous round had been cancelled, I was on Selwood as usual and when asked all I really wanted was peg 11 as it usually holds a few decent carp down the edge and it had won the last two rounds. Steve did the draw and the last peg on the lake was peg 9, I didn’t think too much of this after watching Pez struggle on it in December but I am starting to learn the lake so had a fair idea how to approach it.


As you can see I had the island at around 18-20m in front of me, I also spent a good amount of time plumbing around and found 2 depressions, one at 11m and the other at 6m. These would be my 2 main pole lines and I decided to fish pellet on the longer line and meat short. I also set up a small method feeder on my 10ft Force Commercial bomb rod with 0.20mm Cenex feeder line and a 4 “ 0.20mm Cenex hooklength with a size 16 QM1 with a hair rigged band. My long line was pink reflex Elastic connected to 0.16mm mainline with a 0.12mm bottom and an 18 808 hook, my float was a 4X14 preston Carp 5 as it is a really short float in the shallow water. My meat rig was a 4X14 Drennan Carp 2 float on 0.18mm mainline with a size 2 Tubertini 175 on a 0.14mm bottom, elastic was yellow Reflex hollow. I also set up a margin rig but it didn’t see the water really and a waggler was put up just before the all in as alot of Roach and small carp were splashing just off the island.
I mixed up my groundbait for the pole line and dampened down my 2mm pellet for feeding, this was mixed together for the feeder and then I was ready. At the all in fed 4 balls of groundbait on the long line with a few dead maggots, half a pot of hemp and about 20 6mm cubes of meat went out on my 6m line then I cast the wag towards the island. I struggled with presentation because of the stiff cross breeze so decided to chuck the feeder to the clip, I set the timer for 10mins on my watch and poured myself a brew. Within 3 minutes the tip banged and went round and Skimmer no.1 was on its way to the net, after this the next few hours saw me steadily add to my weight with skimmers, a Crucian and a small carp all falling foul of a 6mm banded pellet. I was getting plenty of liners but a change to a dead maggot saw a spell of no bites so back to the pellet and the fish came back. Every 30minutes I put about 100 grains of hemp and 10 cubes of meat on the short line and after an hour I abandoned the longer line to try and concentrate the skimmers towards the island. In the forth hour I decided to have a look on the short line and dropped in with a cube of meat, After counting to 30 seconds the float dipped and a crucian was on its way to the net a couple of skimmers followed and the a 10lb+ carp showed up. This killed the swim so I topped up and cast the feeder again, within 5 minutes I was catching again. I had seen a few fish getting caught all day and Mayo on peg 16 had a few, and everybody had caught. When the scales came round I had 25lb of skimmers and 15lb of carp for 40lb 6oz of fish a section win and second in the match. The team of me, John, Keith and Steve managed 3 section wins to romp away with the day but we still have alot of work to catch up with the leaders of the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment