28 May 2012

Mega Match This, Viaduct, 19/05/2012


I got to Viaduct with plenty of time before the draw and managed a quick look around a couple of the lakes that would be in on the day, one thing that was noticeable was the amount of fish cruising shallow at ends of the lakes.

I drew 132 and this put me at the cafe end of Campbell, tight in the corner and the swim was full of carp cruising around. This as it turned out was a bad thing as I lost my way as soon as I got to my peg, flapped and set up too much kit.

I set up a deck waggler, 2 pellet wagglers, 2 shallow pole rigs and a paste rig for the right hand margin, and in hindsight I didn’t even put that in the right place choosing the easy option over the less obvious but probably better option.

I started by casting the deck waggler out around 20m in front of the next platform to my right in about 4 feet of water and I lost a fish after about 25minutes through bullying it.

An hour later I hooked one on the pellet wag only to lose it by, guess what, bullying it under the rod end again. I finally hooked and landed a fish by dobbing it on a piece of polont set 12” deep with 4feet of line above the float swinging it on the end of 14.5m of pole towards cruising fish.

I tried this on and off throughout the day but decided to concentrate on the margins for the last hour, the fish never arrived and at the all out again I tipped my one carp and a couple of foul hooked roach back before the scales got to me. Ray Hayward won Campbell with around 94lb of carp on the pellet wag, by sticking to his guns and making it work.

I’ll try again next year then.

No comments:

Post a Comment