06 April 2014

05/04/14 Viaduct Fisho

So silly season is upon us again as I was directed to my parking space at Viaduct Fishery for the first Fisho of the year, I had already picked up a brekkie and a brew so set about sorting my kit and then waiting in the draw huddle chatting away to a few people whom I haven't seen for a while. Even before I got to the draw box people were moaning and commenting that they were going home, peg 48 was my destination for the day.  Now I was blocked in at the car park so had no choice but to stay but since it  had cost me £25 that didn't worry me, however,when I tipped up at the lake there were 3 empty pegs all at the far end of the lake giving the guys up that end a lot more room to play with, I was not impressed.



I had decided to go a quid with DJ who had drawn 111 on Campbell so I thought that an easy days bagging F1’s would be in order so I went about setting up a 10X11 MW pear to fish pellet on a 16 T808 on a 0.10mm bottom and 0.16mm mainline. Pink Reflex elastic was selected as a shock absorber as I was mainly hoping for skimmers and smallish F1’s on this line at 13m.  The next rig out the bag was a 4X10 MW carp slim on 0.18 – 0.14 and a T175 size 2, this was for fishing meat at 5 and 16m as the depth was not too dissimilar and I could get away with the same rig on both lines. Elastic for this rig was geared up to yellow as the target fish was big F1’s, big skimmers and carp. Finally I set up a margin rig to fish down to my left, this consisted of Blue Reflex elastic, 0.20mm mainline, 0.16mm bottom, T175 size 3 and a 0.2g MB WAC ‘O’.



I was ready with plenty of time and at the all-in I shipped out ¼ of a pot of hemp and meat onto both my 5 and 16m lines before shipping out to 13 m with my pear rig baited with a 4mm expander, in the tosspot I had 2mm, 4mm softened pellet and some groundbait slop. First drop I had a roach hit it on the drop and drop off itself but then 5 minutes later I was playing carp number 1 and at 4lb it was worth at least 3 F1’s, that was the end of that line though as I managed a couple of very small skimmers but after 30 minutes I had to have a look on my 16m meat line.  I had a couple of quick F1’s that were in the 1.5-2lb bracket so again bigger than most of the fish that the guys seemed to be bagging on the tip.
This was when my first mistake happened as the guy to my left had come down the edge already and was catching a few small f1’s, as soon as he hooked a proper carp at about an hour and a quarter I was feeding my edge line at 13m down the edge to my left, I think that I fed too much as it was a half a pot of hemp, 4mm pellet and meat.  Anyway I tried the 13m line again, this time feeding with a catty and managed an f1 and a couple of small skimmers so it was long for an f1 then down the edge for a quick look.
To be honest this is where my story gets stale, I managed 2 small tench and a couple of f1’s from the edge all day, the 13m pellet line got discarded as the 16mm meat line was producing the odd run of better f1’s and carp. I found that big potting with a bit of hemp and about 30-50 bits of meat and then resting the line allowed me another quick run of fish when I looked back on it.  With and hour and a bit to go my 5m line produced a run of big skimmers and a couple of carp but it would never be enough to threaten the guys on the far bank and with the island chucks.
I managed to have a nice days fishing and ended up with 50lb 14oz enough to beat 1 on the lake I believe, the guy to my right called Dave, to my left he had 58lb on 46 it was about the same then the rest of the lake there were two eighty’s, a ninety and the lake was won with 109lb from peg 50, when no one was sat in 51!!!! He still did well but it is frustrating when people draw but don’t fish as he had more water to drag fish from and caught on all methods steady all day.
DJ had 30 odd pounds from Campbell so I took a quid off him and the match was won by Kev Dicks with 146lb from 86 on Cary, well done mate.

Two more tickets, I just hope that I at least draw a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment