13 April 2014

Witherington Farm Open, 12/04/2014

It was off to Witherington Farm for a 20 peg open, all the usual suspects were there and it was a who’s who of Withy regulars.  I had however, come prepared as Stu and I had snuck down the day before for a cheeky practice where we sat on Selwood and tried to catch carp on a variety of tactics.  On the day I drew Selwood peg 4 that was a peg to the left of where I had sat the day before, so I had a rough idea of how to approach the day.  There was a bit of banter flying around at the start and somehow I got suckered into going a quid with Blakey, not the best plan if I like my money.

I started by clipping up my feeder rod to the island as this would be my starter line, I then plumbed up a 13m skimmer line, a 5m meat line and also down the edge to the left platform where I have had fish before and also to the right in front of some reeds. Bait was pellets, meat, corn and hemp and at the all-in I quickly shipped out onto the 5m line with a pot of hemp and meat before casting the feeder tight to the island, pepparami was the hookbait of choice and the tip went round within 2 minutes. Carp number 1 was in the net before some people had even finished feeding their pole lines and casting to the island, next cats was again on the money and the tip went round after 3 minutes.  Carp number 2 was in the net and I had managed about 10lb in the first 10 minutes, it was at this point that I fed my skimmer line with some 3mm pellet and a little hemp, and also cupped some meat and corn down the edge to the pallet.

I went back out on the feeder for another half an hour or so but the carp had shut up shop by this point so at nearly an hour I had a cheeky look down the edge to the pallet, this led to carp number 3 to end up in the net within the first hour and I thought that I was in for a very good day. However, it was not to be and I then suffered a very slow hour I managed a couple of skimmers by changing to a smaller hook on the feeder and also changing hookbait to a 6mm hard pellet in a band.  I had a few looks on the skimmer line and I soon figured out that they wanted a small ball of my method mix with a few pellets for every 3 fish and also that lifting and dropping was key. (The practice had come in handy after all). The rig that I was using was a 4X12 MW F1 slim carbon on 0.16mm mainline to a 0.12mm bottom ending in a Colmic N501 hook in a 16 for pellet. The elastic I was using was a soft set pink reflex and this was fine on the most part but I started to get a few problems when the fish started feeding a bit more gently, and a few dropped off, I think this was a culmination of the elastic being too harsh, the hook too big and my hooklength too long, but I didn’t change anything so only have myself to blame.

I managed another carp from down the edge and lost one but all the guys around me were hooking and landing large bonus carp on their light skimmer rigs, I however didn’t manage a bonus and it wasn’t until the end that I would realise how costly this would be.


The weigh in saw me have 43lb, 21lb odd of skimmers and 22lb of carp, Jon on peg 1 managed 10 carp and some skimmers for 50lb, Ray on 6 had 44lb helped no end by two very large carp one on the tip and one on the pole. Blakey showed me the way on the skimmers with 30lb of them and nearly 20lb of carp for 49lb, so Jon won the section but the top three weights came from Cottage and were topped by James Knight with 194lb!! So in all I got a lesson in skimmer fishing and managed to lose a quid to Blakey that I still owe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment