07 May 2014

04/05/14 MFS withy day 2

Today it was off to the inner snake for me, peg 56 to be precise and all I got from the moment I drew it was that I was on a flyer and should win the section and possibly the match with ease,


I had the reeds opposite that were at 14.5m, and it was 4 feet deep against them so fishing on the deck was probably not the best plan with every big carp once again cruising around the lake, so it was a MW Cookie on 0.18 mainline and a 0.12mm hooklength, an 18 PR36 with a bait band and yellow Reflex, the plan for this was that I would fish somewhere else for an hour whilst pinging 4mm hard pellet at the corner, hopefully drawing fish in from further down the lake.  My next rig was a skimmer line, after considerable plumbing up I decided at 13m in line with a tree in the distance, as this was at the base of the far shelf and reasonably flat. The rig for here was the usual 4X12 MW Carbon F1 slim, 0.16mm mainline, 0.10mm hooklength and a 16 B911 F1. This was again set on yellow hydro as I have found this elastic to be perfect for commercial skimmers especially when teamed with a large fine wire hook. You will still get fish dropping off but you will definitely land more skimmers and bonus fish tend to pull less as well. Finally I set up a paste rig to start at 5m and also to fish into the gap under the bridge at 14.5m to my right down the edge, this was 0.20mm to 0.18mm and a size 5 T175, the elastic was green Reflex.

As the all-in was called I fed 3 balls of groundbait onto the skimmer line and then shipped out the paste rig to 5m, on my 4th put in the float lifted sharply and my first fish was on, a skimmer of about a pound. However, that was the only bite I had on the paste all day, I went out onto the shallow line early and managed a pound and a half F1, a couple of goldfish and a small foul hoked carp when I went tight to the reeds, the tactic didn’t feel right. So after an hour and a bit it was time to go skimmer bashing, once again I found feeding to be key and I had to work really hard to keep the fish coming, I had the odd look down the edge on paste and also on the shallow line but it really wasn’t the day for it, so with nothing to lose I changed the edge rig to a meat rig and started to feed some 8mm meat down under the trees.

It took a little while but near enough bang on an hour to go the float dipped on the edge line and I extracted carp number 1 from the snags, he was closely followed by another 2 and I thought I had it sussed, but the swim went dead again and it was a case of resting it and bagging some skimmers before having another look down the edge for another 2 carp in the last 10 minutes.

It had been another interesting day, but as usual I had seen loads of fish getting caught on the outer snake but was not sure how my section had fished to my left. Fortunately I was on the scales so I could find out, Shedful on the end had 42lb, Sconee on the next peg had 43lb 15oz for the section win, unfortunately the middle of the section struggled and I managed 39lb for third in section.  I was quite disappointed in that I was 1 carp short of the section win but the weekend on the whole had been a great laugh.  I managed to come 12th out of the 23 anglers, Rolly won it with a perfect score of 2 points so well done there mate.  I am looking forward to next year as it will be going on again and providing I am around I will be there.


Thanks again to Nick, Ian and co for running the weekend, and congratulations for raising £11000 for charity over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment