12 May 2014

Withy TO4, 10/5/14

I had been looking forward to this match as I had been spending quite a bit of time at the venue and was starting to feel in tune with it, but as I was to find out every day is a school day.  My day started out with getting rid of a duty mobile that then saw me getting to the fishery for about 0815, not helped by an early morning phone call on the duty phone.
Welcomes done, hooks stocked up on and money paid we were ready for the draw, that I volunteered to do, it was reasonable on paper, I was on peg 7 Selwood, Ian had 9 on Cottage, John and Keith were both moaning as usual about their swims on the snake (I can’t remember the numbers).
So to my peg and the weather forecast was right with a strong wind cutting diagonally across me right to left and slightly in my face I was in for a rough day.  Peg 7 is a renowned margin peg with a platform 10m to my right that usually has a few fish under, so knowing how the fish in this lake like platforms I made a decision to get the Ultra Power out of the bag, the margin rig was 0.20mm mainline, 0.18mm bottom, size 3 T175 and Pink Vespe 22 hollow!!!!  If I hooked it I wanted it in the net and had been assured by a friend that this is the stuff on days like this.  I had a 0.3g float on to try and overcome the strengthening wind as even at 10m it was getting hard to hold the pole still at times, bottom was quite flat but it was 3 ½ feet deep which did not bode well for a hit and hold swim.  It was also too deep for the normal tactic of a small ball of groundbait so I went with 6mm meat, corn and hemp on the margin line.


My next swim and my banker was a small groundbait feeder that I clipped up a few feet short of the island for the skimmers, I started with a completely free running feeder but ended up with a slightly different rig:


By having the feeder sliding on a short twisted section and another longer section of twisted line under the feeder I had very few tangles (you will always get a few with 0.12mm) and the bites were proper most of the time as the fish hooked themselves.
I also set up a rig to fish at 6 sections in front of me and a method rod for the island chuck so I was ready about 30 minutes before the all in.  As the whistle sounded I tried the method to the island trick, but the first cast was short due to a gust of wind, the second landed well enough but came back covered in reeds that had been torn off the island by spawning fish and the third chuck saw it up the bank behind me. I fed the RH margin and the 6 section lines before casting the skimmer feeder out, and that was it for 5 hours as I struggled to catch any real numbers of fish on the tip, just 3-4 and then they would disappear for 20 minutes then I would get another couple and they would back off again.  I tried the 6 section line and managed a skimmer but I could not present properly on that line so it git chucked up the bank next to the method, the margin produced a puppy after a couple of hours and in the last hour I really concentrated on it hooking 4 landing 2 from under the platform, The first lost fish I pulled the wrong way and got cut off, the second was a foul hooker during a gust of wind.
The last 30 minutes was the most eventful with me taking a small storm straight in the grid whilst waiting for a bite.



I ended up helping out with the weigh in and had managed 4th on the lake beaten by Mayo to my right who caught a few on the method off the island, as did the other two above me but I cannot remember who it was, weights were 60odd, 50 odd, mayo on 42, and me on 32lb.

The team fared well with the other 3 all getting top two in section and Nic Mac managed third overall but as duty was calling I had to go back to work at the double and continue to sit next to a mobile. We are currently third in the league with a match to go, here’s fingers crossed for a good day at the end of the month, but first I am off to viaduct on Wednesday, better pack a few keepnets with the weights that have been coming out of late ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment