16 April 2015

An evening on the Canal 10/4/15

During the week I received a few new toys to play with and since I had a few hours in the afternoon I decided that a few hours trying to catch a few carp from the same pound as Monday would be a good idea.  My exploits from Monday can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7O_K0SK7Xg
Back to the evening in question, I had a good run from work and I was able to get set up on the canal by half three, I was on the same peg as the week before but the tactics were this time a little different as I had to use up some dead red maggot I had in the freezer.



I decided on a simple, a paternoster rig on 0.20mm mainline, and a 0.12mm hooklength with a size 18 B911 F1, I was using a small 15g drennan cage feeder as the distance was not too far but I found that my new rod dealt with it superbly.
I cast with no hooklength 4 times at the start to get some bait down and then went over the top with double dead red on the hook, my bait tray had Sonubaits F1 dark groundbait mixed with 2mm pellet , a pint of dead maggot and a tin of corn. It took 3 casts but I son had my first fish a small roach in the net and then started a golden hour with skimmers from 3oz to 3lb making an appearance, mostly on dead maggot although I did have a couple of fish on sweetcorn. Throughout the afternoon the canal surprisingly got busyier and I had a carp angler drop in to my left against the lock and then another turned up 15m to my right and started spraying floating pellet in across and in the trees that I was fishing next to.  The carp loved it as they troughed all the free food that was floating amongst the branches and although he hooked and lost one they mostly laughed at him.  The bream fishing petered out and stopped as he did this so I got off my box and set up my method rod that was in my bag, I then clipped this up tight to the far bank to practice my casting.  The only pull I got was off the branch I hit when I went a bit left… I walked around to unhook myself and saw a couple of carp happily eating floaters, no size to them though.
I tried putting my left over bait in down the edge as I packed up and laid the feeder on top for 15 minutes as it started to get dark but that didn’t work this time. I ended up with an easy 20lb bag in about 4 hours, so not a bad night.

A quick word on the hardware, I had mainly gone to try out a new rod that is a Drennan Ultralight Bomb rod, this is an awesome bit of kit that I tried in all combinations, it easily handled the short cast to the far side of the canal with both tips (0.75 and 1oz) even at the shorter 10ft length. When I put in the extension the casting was far easier but it still retained its beautiful fish playing action.  I cannot recommend this rod enough for short range feeder fishing with a bit of finesse.

What would I do different?

I would like to try a waggler over the top of the feeder line one day as I was catching a few decent Rudd on the drop at one point.

Might have to go carp fishing again before my ticket runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment