29 April 2015

Waldens Farm, 5 From 5 Challenge, 24/4/15

It was back down to Walden’s for another overnighter, this time I was going to try and do a 5 from 5 challenge so I started on Deacons the match lake, Stu the Bailiff was fishing there as well and he led the way with 4 carp to my 1 missed bite. 
We were both fishing floaters and they definitely preferred his bigger dog biscuit. I decided to move to the other side of the lake and it took about 10 minutes to put fish number 1 on the mat, at 3lb is was very welcome.


This saw me move straight onto Popes, and since it had taken me 2 hours to get one from the match lake I was not too confident of an early bite, I moved my kit to a spot between Popes and Monks and fed a few margin spots on Popes and fed some floaters into the rushes on Monks.  I failed miserably, I got the fish pac manning in the edge but they were very spooky and after I missed one they ghosted away and my chance was gone.


There were no signs of fish feeding on my edge spots so I decided to cut my losses and moved onto Bishops after a big ghostie.  No sooner as I was settled in with a bit of bait into the swim than it started raining so moving again was cancelled and the 5 From 5 would have to wait for another day.

I put a rig next to a lilly bed and another down the edge to my right, had some food and decided to get my head down nice and early. Due to the proximity to the snags I was fishing locked up, this is when you have your drag tightened up so that you CANNOT take line from it, using butt grips this isn’t usually a problem but as I was about to find out, the ones I use at the moment don’t work in the rain!

I got three beeps as the lie pulled tight and just as I swung my feet towards my trainers the rod lurched forward and jammed on the alarm…. Needless to say I was on the rod in an instant now just stood in my socks.  The fight was quite cheeky as the carp had made it into the lilies but steady pressure saw me win the day and it was soon in the net. At about 10-12lb I was happy with the result.
This was the successful rig.

It had managed to bend my rod ring on the alarm though.

That was it for the night, I had a few liners on the margin rod but nothing significant so come mid-morning I decided to move onto Monks for the last couple of hours.  This was a good idea and by casting tight to the reeds and Lilly's I had 5 bites, but due to my hooks being a little on the large side I only landed 2.
In all it was a nice session and I will be back next week to try and bag a better fish from Abbots.

What would I do different?


1.       Back to the flat method and I am back on Abbots trying for a better fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment