12 March 2016

Ash Lake Open, 12/3/16

I had booked into this match a while ago and had been looking forward to it as it marks the start of my ‘commercial’ season, Simon was running it and after a quick stop at Maccy D’s for fuel I was soon booking in with him at the shop at Todber.  It was going to be tight with all 14 pegs on the lake getting filled and amongst the other anglers were the other two members of team Baggers’ Pez and Pete. John was also in attendance so I was hoping for some revenge after Shearwater and finally I was a little perturbed when I bumped into Rolly in the shop, as I thought that that would be one of the fliers gone, but he assured me that he had been drawing badly of late at viaduct, he then listed the pegs and I agreed.
Pleasantries done it was time for the draw and in amongst the scrum I managed to pull peg 3 out of the bag, I knew where I was going and was soon looking at this view:


The plan was simple, due to the weather man saying that there would be very little wind all day a waggler would be dispatched to fish the far side with meat, I would also set up a bomb if a disaster happened.  I plumbed up my skimmer line at 14.5 meters as the peg was set back compared to the pegs on my right so I needed to push further out into the open water, this had a double bulk rig and a hairy fairy rig.  Finally I plumbed up a short line to fish meat.
I had just finished murdering worms as the all in was called and I fed 2 balls of worm, groundbait and micro mix on the 14.5m line, a few cubes of 6mm meat at 5m and then I cast the waggler across with a small cube of meat on the hair.  It was not immediate but the first hour was actually quite good, I managed a 3-4lb Carp as my first fish on meat in about 4 foot of water, a little later I saw Simon to my left have a decent carp in the shallow water on the wag so I chased the fish over and managed a good spell with 4 carp for around 30lb in nearly as many casts. Unfortunately that was it for the big fish action and due to the conditions almost any action, I plugged away on the wag for a few smaller carp and had the odd look on the skimmer line but they never really turned up.  The weather was warm and still so I even tried fishing shallow over the skimmer line and also on the wag but to no avail.  I didn’t have a single indication on the short line all day, but the bank was quite busy.
With around an hour to go people started to pack up all around me and before long Simon and Mark to my left were packing up as were the three pegs between myself and Rolly!  This was possibly caused by Rolly having been netting good sized skimmers and a few carp nearly all day and Pete further down had managed a few on the wag as well.  The last 15 minutes saw a few more indications on the waggler line and I even managed a small carp with 3 minutes to go and missed a bite on the whistle. 
It had been a nice but frustrating day, I was still miffed that the bigger fish had just disappeared on me but I had still had a better day than most, Simon weighed first for 24lb, then it was my turn, 5lb of bits and 45lb of carp for a total of 50lb 4oz was more than I had thought so I was a happy bunny.  The scales went up the lake and I had decided to fish on for a bit to see if I could find out where the better fish had disappeared to.  Rolly had 70lb, Pete 45lb and that was the rest of the top three and I had managed another second on the lake.  Baggers had managed a good day with myself and Pete in the main frame and Pez managed to pick up the silvers pool with around 15lb from the far end, I even got a quid back off John so that was a plus.
Thankyou Simon for running the match and also to all the team at Todber for the friendly welcome and great fishing.
  
What would I do different?
I will definitely be investing in an 8mm meat cutter for the summer so that I can fish it at a greater range.
The short line needs to be plumbed correctly and not just fished 2+2 because it works on pleasure sessions.

Tackle used:
Waggler:
Rod: Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 12 ft
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 4lb to 0.11mm hooklength
Hook: 20 Guru Pellet wag
Float: 4AA Dave Harrell thick tip insert

Bomb:
Rod: Drennan Ultralight Bomb 1oz tip.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 0.20mm  to a 0.15mm fluorocarbon hooklength
Hook: 16 QM1
Weight: 8g inline olivette

Pole Long Double Bulk:
Elastic: Yellow Hydro
Line: 0.15mm to 0.12mm
Hook: 16 B911 F1
Float: 0.8g Drennan Carp 2

Pole Long Standard:
Elastic: Yellow Hydro
Line: 0.15mm to 0.12mm
Hook: 18 B911 F1
Float: 0.3g AS3

Pole shallow:
Elastic: White Hydro
Line: 0.15mm to 0.12mm
Hook: 18 B911 F1
Float: 0.3g AS3

Pole Short:
Elastic: White Hydro
Line: 0.19mm to 0.14mm
Hook: 2 T175
Float: 0.2g Drennan Carp 3




No comments:

Post a Comment