05 March 2016

Trip to the Dorset Stour

I managed to get an early finish and a plan had already been hatched to go and try out my new Bolo rod before the end of the season, the Dorset Stour was the selected river and the Sturminster angling stretch called Colber had been selected, unfortunately Fate had different ideas and the parking that I had been told about was full so I was off to the Bull.
I trotted down to around peg 12 after chatting to a couple of guys who were already fishing, I had been hoping for a fair bit of depth but 7-8 foot would have to do me.  I got started by feeding 6 jaffas mid river before starting by running my light rig over the top, I had a bite first cast, and second and third and so the die was cast for the day.  I managed a skimmer randomly after about an hour and this was followed by a second about half an hour later, other than that it was all small roach and dace.
I tried loose feeding and lightened up the hooklength but I couldn’t seem to get the better roach to hang on the end.   I ended up after much chopping and changing with 50-80 small fish and the two skimmers, it had been a brilliant few hours.


What would I do different?
Not a lot really it was mainly a session to get the new bolo rod on the bank and that was a success. I am very impressed with it as it handled a 0.08mm hooklength under a 3g float very well and it had enough backbone when I hooked the skimmers that they never stood a chance.

Tackle used:

Bolo Light:
Rod: Matrix Reflex 6m light bolo.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 0.18mm supplex to 0.08-0.10mm hooklength
Hook: 20 B560
Float: 3g Dave Harrell standard bolo

Bolo Heavy:
Rod: Browning Champions Choice 6m Bolo.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 0.20mm supplex to 0.12mm hooklength
Hook: 18 B560
Float: 4g Dave Harrell standard bolo shotted bouble bulk





No comments:

Post a Comment