27 July 2016

Royal Signals, Masters and Clubman match, 19/07/16

This was the start of the Royal Signals Championship for me, I was paired up with Ben so the team was Ben and Ben… Fate?  We met up on the morning, I had had little to do with him on the run up to the match as I have fished with Ben in the past and am aware that he can catch fish on his day, we drew pegs 22 and 23 on the Snake as far as I can remember so once we got to the pegs it was to work.




I showed him a few things like dobbing rigs, simple bait prep and the like and I was still able to set my kit up well in time. The swims were only about 7 meters wide so I was going to concentrate my efforts down to the right hand side of the swim, I set up a method, shallow rig, deck rig across and a paste rig for down the edge.  I got Ben to set up roughly the same… ish.
  
So the clubman got to start 30 minutes before the Master, so I got Ben to start dobbing over the far bank loking for an early fish, I was expecting it to be hard so 30lb would have been a good weight between us in my opinion.  It didn’t take too long and soon Ben had his first fish on its way to the onion sack.

It was a carp at about 3lb so a good start and there were plenty of fish showing themselves along the far bank.  He had a couple more by the time I got to start and as he was doing so well I decided to follow suite and started fishing meat across the far bank.  It was obvious by the fishes reaction that they wanted to be shallow in the heat, which was starting to become oppressive, so I set up a shallow rig to fish under the far bank foliage and managed a few fish on this over the first couple of hours.
After this  time the shade in which I had been getting my bites disappeared and the only shade I had was down the lake to my right, by casting the method tight to the top bank under the trees I managed another 4 carp and I also managed to mug a couple on a mugging rig.
Going into the last couple of hours I started to feed my right hand edge with a mix of 2mm and 4mm pellet with an eye to fish paste over the top, it never really kicked off though even though I managed a couple of fish I was soon fishing meat slop up the far bank for another couple of fish in the last hour and 1 down the edge.
Ben had struggled aswell to get numbers of fish and he ended up on just over 5kg of fish, I had 14 and a half, this was enough for us to end up third pair on the lake and 8th pair overall, so plenty of room for improvement next year.
Kev and Greg smashed it on reptile and Greg (… the clubman) had enough weight so that Kev didn’t even need to weigh in!!!

What would I do differently?
I think that the method should have been my main line of attack for the day with the far bank meat as a backup to grab the odd fish rather than the other way round, I also think I overfed my margins… wonder if I will learn from it this time?


Tackle used:
Pole Long:
Elastic: Blue Colmic
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 2 T175
Float: 0.3g AS4

Pole Long Shallow:
Elastic: Blue Colmic
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 18 Guru pellet wag
Float: 0.2g crystal dibber

Pole dobbing:
Elastic: blue Colmic
Line: 0.19mm to 0.15mm
Hook: 18 Guru Pellet wag with baitstop
Float: 0.4g Crystal dibber

Pole Margin:
Elastic: 17H yellow
Line: 0.19mm to 0.17mm
Hook: 5 T175
Float: KC Carpa Margin 4X10

Method:
Rod: Drennan series 7 Carp feeder 10ft.
Reel: Daiwa TDM 3012
Line: 8lb sensor to 0.19mm
Hook: 14 QM1
Feeder: 24g small guru method feeder




No comments:

Post a Comment