02 March 2011

AAF Gp2 Match 5, Viaduct

So it was time to put the lessons that I had learnt at the weekend open into practice. However, when it turned out that peg 119 on Campbell lake, was to be my destination for the day I started to moan like a goodun. I felt that I was at the wrong end of the lake for the carp and that the conditions of cold and clear would put paid to too many silvers showing, since I was in a silvers peg this was not ideal. When I got there I found that all the top end of the lake was not pegged so that gave me a 40yd long margin to chuck a bomb at. There is also a partially submerged bush in the corner of the lake that can be reached with 14.5m of pole so that was another area of interest, finally I decided to fish a short pole line in open water looking for the Tench I had seen come out at the weekend.
I set up the same bomb outfit as the weekend and also a waggler that didn’t really get used, a 0.4g Drennan Carp 6 for a 4foot line over by the bush; this was on 0.15mm to a 0.14mm bottom and a B911 in 18. This was set up on doubled no.8 and an identical rig was plumbed up on my 6m line at a 30 degree angle to the right of my peg as a silvers line, this was on green Vespe Hollow. Since I had a few minutes before the all in I also set up a dobbing rig for along the margins and around the bush with bread, this was a 0.3g Preston Inter 1 on the same line and hook as the other rigs and again on green Vespe hollow.
At the all in I fed a half pot of Hemp, Caster and Corn on my silvers line then shipped the dobbing rig along my margin and tucked it up next to the bush, 20 seconds later Carp number 1 was on its way to the net and at about 1 1/2lb it was a start. Three more followed from the same spot before bites dried up, I then fed my 4 ft line with Hemp, Caster and Corn and chucked out bread on the bomb. I tried several spots on the bomb over the next hour and a bit with only a couple of liners to show for my efforts so I had a quick look on my bush line. The float buried almost instantly and a 4lber found its way into the net, but that was it for that line again and a Perch from my silvers line did not fill me with confidence.
Now it was a case of rotating through my swims to try and scratch a few more bites out and it turned out that the bush Corn line was my most productive with a further 6 carp to double figures coming out over the last 2 hours. It turned out that my 38lb odd was enough for 2nd in section with lots of people moaning about lost fish and a lack of fish I front of them, the cold weather had done me a favour. 60lb won the lake but I don’t believe that my swim was worth enough to beat that today even though I had killed it for the last half an hour; I went from plenty of liners and nearly a fish every couple of minutes to nothing just by feeding 100 grains of hemp and a few bits of corn. I’ll try not to do that again. Supercup on the Avon next so we shall see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment