28 March 2011

FLE Fishery (formally Greenridge Farm Fishery) Open, 26 March 2011

So it was off to Greenridge for a Saturday Open, and there were some well known local rods lingering around at the draw as well as the usual suspects. Peg 23 was to be my destination and on first looks it was quite good with a bay on the far bank that had been made by the bank falling in and a small bush almost straight in front of my peg and a tree in my right hand margin. On plumbing up things got better with the depth on each corner of the bay being 2 feet with cover and the depth in tight next to the far bank bush was 2 ½ feet, this however ,saw me having to set up two rigs for the two spots. I also plumbed up at 10m at an angle of 45degrees towards the blank peg to my left as a track swim and this was 3 feet deep all over the peg from about a meter out to tight over, and I set up a margin rig to go under the tree to my right and amongst some brambles to my left. My far bank swims were a 4X12 Big H Border float on 0.15 mainline to a 0.13mm bottom and an 18 B911 and another 4X12 Big H float on 0.17mm main to 0.15mm bottom and a 16 B911 for the deeper rig. Both were on Green Vespe E2 Hollow elastic and had a small toss pot fitted to the top kits. My paste rig consisted of a modified KC Carpa Margin Paste Float on 0.19mm Mainline and 0.17mm Bottom to a 12 B911, this was on Red Vespe E2 Hollow. My Margin rig and Corn rig were my standard rigs however did not get used alot.
At the all in the standard pot of hemp, corn and pellet went on the Paste line and I shipped my shallower rig across with a 6mm punch of bread on hoping for a quick mug fish but all I caught in the first 15 mins was the far bank bush (Twice!!!). this saw me decide to start a standard pellet match so I shipped over with my deeper rig and a 4mm expander on the hook and softened pellet in the toss pot and things started to happen with 4 fish falling to this in the first hour. All of them ran me behind the trailing branches of the bush and led to some tourettes kicking in however, I managed to keep them all on the hook. The next hour was much the same but the fish were starting to move around up in the water so I put a 6mm hard pellet into a bait band a foot deep and continued to toss pot pellet in. This led to a quick run of fish but then they wised up so I pulled a catty out of my bag and started to ping pellet towards the bay on the left hand side of the swim.  This again saw me put some more fish in the net but their average size was quite small and after having been topping up my paste line regularly I decided to give it a look with paste on. Second drop in saw me attached to a 6 lber so I decided to rotate from the far bank line and the paste line for the last 2 hours and this saw me double my weight in this time.
At the all out I ended up with 88lb 2oz for third on my lake (Beaten out of 2nd by 8oz) and 4th overall so it was a good day 107lb won my lake and the match was won with 131lb. After the match it was the annual prize giving so a buffet had been laid on that was really needed and was really good. Next match is an AAF qualifier at Todber so much of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment