10 March 2011

VDE Supercup Rd 1, Bristol Avon, Chippenham, 06/03/11

So it was my first foray into the VDE Supercup and we were competing against Chippenham AC and Elgin AC on the Bristol Avon at Chippenham (My favourite venue at the moment, NOT). My team captain came over after the draw and told me that my destination for the day was around permanent peg 126 , this was on the stretch known as the island park and gave me about 20m of slow moving water with most of the flow across the far side. I was on peg 1 for my section with the Elgin lad on 2 and Chippenham on 3, instantly I was fishing for 2nd as peg 3 had 80yds downstream to a bridge to fish through and a large overhanging tree on the far side.  Unperturbed I set up a waggler, Bolo, Maggot feeder and a couple of pole rigs to hopefully catch on punch at 11m, at the all in I fed a ball of punch crumb at 11m and chucked the feeder tight to the far bank hoping for some small chub. 2nd cast I had a small bite that I hit and got instantly smashed up by the fish on the distant end, which was the end of the feeder line. I looked on my punch line and worked a bait through the swim for the next 40 mins without so much as a sniff so I decided to try the waggler, this resulted in two tiny perch and was followed up by the guy on 2 taking a decent perch on worm. The flow picked up so out went the Bolo for a change in presentation and a couple of small chub came in, what happened next made my day as the guy on peg 2 picked up a Chub of around 4 ½ lb. I had about a pound in the net and was going nowhere fast with all my lines drying up, I got off my box and mixed up a bit of groundbait, chopped a ¼ of a kilo of worm and then set up a ground bait feeder. I needed a bonus fish to stand a chance of doing any good from my swim and 2 hours on the feeder resulted in 2 perch for a pound and 3 missed bites. I wasn’t happy.
At the weigh in I had 2lb 8oz, peg 2: 5lb 6oz and peg 3: 16lb 8oz (match win) AAF gp2 came last on the day and Chippenham went through to the next round. Well done lads and all the best in round 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment