22 August 2011

Orchard Lakes Sunday Series-21/08/2011

Another Sunday series saw me waking up at Orchard lakes as I had been bank running the day before along the Basingstoke Canal and to save fuel I stayed in my van. I drew peg 2 out of the bag and was told straight away that I was fishing for 3rd in section so I decided to enjoy my day and set up 4 rigs. I had 2 identical rigs on Green Preston Hollo elastic with 0.19mm mainline and a 0.17mm bottom to a 16 B911and the floats were Frenzee FP800. These were for fishing under my platform on a Tension Puller kit with pellet. I also set up a standard far bank rig with a 0.15mm bottom to a 16 B911 and also a shallow rig set up with 0.19-0.15 and an 18 PR36 and a micro pellet band, both of these were set up on Cenex yellow hollow Elastic again through Tension Pulla Kits.
At the all in I fed a small ball of softened 2mm and 4mm pellet down each margin before shipping my new Xitan Z9 across to the far bank with the same mix in a small Cad Pot and a 4mm expander on the hook. It took all of a minute for my first fish but I decided to have a look down the inside to see if the fish were there as they would be quicker to catch. I had a couple of very small carp and made a decision to fish the far bank and give my new pole a proper work out. After about 20 minutes I went over to the shallow rig as I was getting liner instantly as the carp came up in the water for the pellet so I mixed it very wet and added groundbait to increase the cloud effect, fishing a 6mm pellet in the middle of the cloud. This worked very well with me having several periods where it was a fish on the hook even before the pellet mix was hitting the water, but even though I got my head down nearly the full 5 hours across I could not compete with the guys who were fishing on their top kits. I ended up with 123lb and 5th out of 6 in my section. Even though I had a really good day testing my new Z9 to destruction (I broke a top kit on a carp, probably a manufacturing defect as I was not horsing it that much), and practicing fishing the long pole at speed for small fish I was never going to compete fishing in that manner.
Next stop is Witherington Farm for a pairs match, should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment