07 December 2013

ATWL round 5, K&A Marlborough.

On this round last year I managed to weigh over 40lb from this canal so I was hoping for a good draw on the day, it didn't quite pan out as that though, I ended up going to the same car park as the week before but on the other side of the bridge, by about half a mile. It felt like a ten mile walk though as I had bruised my ribs the day before in PT so I was not an impressed bunny when I finally got to my peg.

As you can see there was no far bank feature, that coupled with he fact that I could see the bottom at 3 ft discounted the far side completely. I had Gary Williams of Swindon on the end peg to my right with a far bank tree and the Daiwa Gordon League lad on the other end peg was in a line of trees so had loads of features. In fact about 3 of the pegs looked better than mine so I was looking at a long slog for 4th in section.
I decided to again keep it simple and aim for small fish, so I plumbed up a bread rig at about 6m, a squat line at 10.5m and then two worm lines both down the track, one to the left the other to the right at 13m.
At the al in I fed a small ball of licky at 6m, then 4 balls of groundbait were dispatched across loaded with squat and hemp. I decided to feed the worm lines just before I went on them for the first time, so was soon expectantly awaiting a bite on the bread line I would love to say that the float went under and my day was plain sailing, but that was not the case. I waited for what seemed like an eternity for a bite and then only managed a few fish from the inside line before having to chase them, I managed a bonus 4oz perch off a worm line but the rest of my 50 fish were very small. I had to chop and change line regularly to keep the fish coming and I struggled to get a run of fish together on the squatt line, that was frustrating. The match could not finish soon enough and as I was on Boards the fun of following them down began, I managed to weigh 2lb 15.5oz for joint second in section with Gary on the next peg, we were both well of the pace of the other end peg who won the section with a good 4lb+ weight.  
Back at the football club and the team had not done brilliantly but we had a few pick ups but going into the last match we were in a 3 way tie for third so it is all to play for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment