27 December 2013

Viaduct Costcutter open, 27/12/2013

Today saw me and Tony taking a trip down to Viaduct for a cost cutter open, it was being held over campbell and cary but with the wind forecast all I wanted was a peg with a bit of respite so that I could try a few things out.
Peg 79 was my destination for the day, and all the info that I was getting was that there were carp in the area and that they were coming on meat and bread. With the wind forecast to increase at lunch time I decided on a simple plan of a bomb attack with a skimmer feeder as a back up, due to recent form I also pulled a waggler out of the bag and plumbed around a bit to get an idea of the depths, I found that it was around 3ft on the top of the bar in front of me and went down to 4 1/2 ft almost everywhere else.
I had a few minutes before the start so also pulled a rig out of the box to fish in front of the platform to my right, the plan for this was to fish at the base of the shelf where the keepnets would normally be.  I decided to feed dead maggot, corm and meat on this line so as the all in i cupped in a quarter of a cup of grub and then cast the bomb baited with meat out around 30 yds.  
Not alot happened for the first hour and a half, I was getting plenty of liners but I could not find a way to convert them into bites until I dropped on what must have been a small pod of fish as I had 3 bites in 20 minutes and landed 2 carp for around 20lb both on meat. That was it for a while and the liners stopped on the top of the bar, I thought about trying the feeder for skimmers but hearing that Mr Tucker on Campbell had been catching well from the start meant that skimmers would not cut it today, plus I felt that the swim was too shallow for them.
I had a go on the waggler and lost a foul hooker so back to the bomb and out of curiosity I tried towards the aerator on the right hand side of my swim, as the lead was falling through the water I could feel it bouncing off fish and I thought that I had a bite on the drop but it was nothing. So out went the bomb again, this time it got to the bottom and after 6 minutes the tip went round, I lifted and felt solid resistance and after an epic struggle that saw the fish try to swim around everything, get snagged and do several long runs I finally managed to net half of this:
25lb 10oz of Scary Cary magic, the next 3 casts saw me land another 2 fish and then that was it, the last hour and a half saw the wind die down so I tried to find the fish with the waggler but they had gone and I only saw one more carp caught from the lake for the rest of the match.
At the all out I thought that I would have 60lb and so it turned out when the scales came around with my total being 60lb 6oz, this was enough to take the customary quid off of Tony and also for second in the match behind Tucks on Campbell. So again not a bad day at all.


2 comments:

  1. see you don't have sit in a bivvy & behind buzzers to catch specimen carp

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it is more comfortable when you have the kettle on :-)

    ReplyDelete