02 June 2011

AAF Gp2 Match 8, Todber Manor

After the team success that 11 Sigs achieved on the last Todber match, we were looking forward to trying to repeat it. After a brekkie in the cafe it was Pez to draw for the team and I had told him that I wanted C section, Whitepost Lakes again. He managed that for me and put himself on peg 35 on Park and Craig was on peg 15, so we had a decent draw but we still had to make it count. The team tactics were loosely based around carp to start then loads of F1’s if you were struggling followed by carp at the end down the edge or on the 5m line.
My peg gave me 13m across to a lily bed and a really nice margin under a bush on a 2+2 line, I set up a method rod for casting in between the lily beds opposite, three rigs for the 134m line that were also the same for a 2+2 straight out in front and a margin under a tree to my left. The rigs for the open water lines were a 4X12 float on 0.17mm to 0.15 and a 16 B911 running on Green Vespe E2 Hollow for fishing meat for proper carp. A 0.2g D Burns special on 0.15mm main to a 0.13mm bottom with an 18 B911 for F1’s on the deck, the elastic was yellow Vespe and finally a Sconezone slapper on 0.19mm main to a 0.15mm bottom with an 18 PR36 and a micro baitband on a hair again on yellow Vespe E2 hollow. The edge rig consisted of a 4X10 Duro 10 on 0.19mm mainline to a 0.15mm bottom and a 16 b911 on red Vespe E2 Hollow, this was the only top kit not on a pull bung.

At the all in I fed half a pot of hemp and about 50 6mm cubes of meat down my edge line then chucked the tip across the far bank, My method rig was a 25g Drennan small inline method with a 4 inch length of 0.19 to a 14 QM1 to which a baitband was hair rigged. This was baited with a 10mm white boilie and encased in Sensas Crazy bait gold and a few 2 and 4mm pellet. The third cast saw a small carp in the net but then 10 minutes of silly indications and half bites, plus watching the guy in the next peg pull in 5 F1’s really quick saw me swap to the pole line and a pellet on the hook. This I fed with a toss pot and I had a small roach first put in followed by a couple of quick bites and alot of fizzing so I swapped hookbait to an 8mm cube of meat and fed hemp and 6mm meat through the toss pot. Within 3 mins I was playing a 4lb carp that I had hooked in the tail but on returning I was able to get a quick run of F1’s at about 12oz apiece. They were coming regularity but not quick enough to do any real weight so I decided to try and catch them shallow after an hour and started pinging out 4mm pellet over my meat line and sent out the shallow rig with a 6mm pellet in the band. The 6mm pellet was to try and reduce the number of Rudd eating it as Steve to my right was having a nightmare with them. I slapped the rig in once and yellow elastic poured out, F1 no.1 was quickly in the net and then for the next hour it was nearly an F1 a minute all taken at 13m on the shallow rig, I was however, getting fed up of trying to ship my pole back through the tiny gap in the trees behind me so I started to feed 4mm pellet on my 5m line and the F1’s were there almost straight away. They were not coming as quickly as out long so I decided to have a quick look down the edge with 3hrs to go just to try and build the short shallow swim, however, I didn’t really get the chance as carp from 2 to 6lb were queuing up for my 8mm meat hookbaits. Every put in I topped up with a toss pot ¾ full of hemp and filled to the brim with 6mm meat, for 2 hours it was a fish a put in down the edge and when it went quiet I would put half a pot in and try for a few F1’s shallow short.

Coming into the last hour I knew I was on my way for a big weight so I quickly threw a third net in (I had 1 for silvers and F1’s the other for proper carp) and watched in disbelief as my margin swim dried up over the next hour only giving me 8 Carp. At the end I had 15 proper carp (4lb+) twice as many smaller carp and god knows how many F1’s I had landed during my spell on them, Keith came down with the scales and asked me for an estimate, 140-150lb was my answer and we started to weigh in. 4 weighs later and I had taken about 20kg of F1’s on a total bag of 71.760KG, this was enough to win my section by a clear margin and due to the fact that Park did not fish to its usual potential I won the match as well. I must point out at this point that I had a massive advantage after the guy pegged to my left had to pack up and leave after 30mins leaving me with half the lake to myself, so I was pulling fish in from far and wide. On the day 11 Sigs had a reasonable result with both myself and Pez winning our sections, however, Craig had a bad day and his result dragged us down as a team to 4th on the day. Our next group match is on the Bristol Avon at Staverton so I am dusting off my size 26’s and getting ready for a grueller.

No comments:

Post a Comment