19 June 2011

AAF Match 9, Bristol Avon, Staverton, 16/06/2011

This was the penultimate match of the league and going into it myself and John Dewberry were drawing on 8 points (best 5 results) so when we both drew in the same section it was most definitely ON!!


I drew permanent peg 63 that turned out to be the most upstream end peg on the stretch, I needed to spend 15 minutes with the weed rake before I could settle down, to clear a lily bed from straight in front of me. Once done however I had a clear run through at 11m and a nice looking hole in the weed at 6m to my left, I decided on groundbait on the long pole and chopped worm and caster in the weeds.
For the long pole I set up 3 rigs, a 1.5g Preston Classic 2 on 0.11 to 0.08 and a 22 511, this was rigged on a top kit with No.8 solid through 3 sections. My second rig was a 1g Garbolino DS14H, with the same line and hook as the other rig but this time on a lighter 5 solid through 3 sections, both of these rigs were set with a bulk and 3 no.10 droppers. My final long pole rig was a strung shotted rig with a 4X14 Tubertini Stix on 0.11 main again but this time 0.07 to a 20 B511 and No. 3 elastic through the top 2. The worm rig was an over shotted 1g Drennan Trio on 0.17-0.13mm line and a 14 Drennan Wide Gape, this was rigged on Red Vespe hollow through a power kit.
At the all in I fed 5 Satsuma sized balls of groundbait, (half a bag Matchblend, ½ bag Noire, 2 pints brown crumb and 2 pints of molehill soil), this contained dead pinkie, caster and hemp. I also fed 2 similar sized balls of the same mix containing chopped worm and caster on my worm line before shipping my DS14H rig out with a pinkie on the hook. He float went under first run through and for the first hour I managed to put about 6 Roach to 6oz and 6 Perch to a similar size into the net for about 2lb. After the golden hour it turned into a scratching match but I was able to take a couple of fish and then change line a few times, I also set up a waggler at 4ft deep after about 2 hours and this was cast downstream into a large hole into the weed and produced a couple of small roach and bleak throughout the rest of the day.
I worked hard for the full 5 hours and with 10 minutes to go I tried hemp for a final time only to miss a bite that saw me persevere with it on the hook until the end to no avail. I was on the boards so I witnessed the whole section weigh in and I only needed to beat John to have had a good day, up until John the best weight was just over a kilo, John had 1.510Kg and looking at the size of his fish I started to worry, I thought I had over 3 lb but was not sure by how much. !.810Kg answered my prayers and helped my team 11 sigs to 1st on the day, got me a section win and second overall on the day and finally has put me ahead of John in the league by section count back.
Next and last stop for this year will be Viaduct, I hope that I can continue my run there.

No comments:

Post a Comment