09 June 2011

Coking Farm Evening match, Rush Lake


This was my third visit to Coking on evening matches and the attendance this time was only 8 but with the strong wind and rain it was not too surprising, at the draw I pulled out peg 2 and this gave me 20m to drive my van to my peg. On looking at it I decided that a simple method to the island and meat down the edge was to be how I would approach the evening and with my method groundbait already mixed it took me next to no time to get set up. My margin rig was a Frenzee pf800 on 0.19mm main and a 0.15mm bottom to a size ‘2’ 175. This was rigged on a 2+1 as I found 2.5 feet of water on both sides of my margin and I had it all on Red Vespe elastic as usual. My method rig was my standard 30g inline method free running on the 8lb mainline with a 0.19mm bottom and 14QM1 attached to the mainline with a quick change bead. The cast was only about 30yds to the tree opposite and I fancied it for a few fish so I used my 10ft Drennan carp feeder and a 2508 Daiwa TDM.
At the all in I fed a pot of bait on both sides of my swim and cast the feeder about a meter short of the tree, it took 20 minutes for my first fish and in this time the guy to my right had landed two but to cut a long and breezy evening short the fish came in 1’s and 2’s usually after changing either the hookbait or how close to tree I was casting. I ended up with 9 carp but had lost another 5 that had come off due to hookpulls halfway across. I was not the only one to suffer this and I can only put it down to the fish not feeding properly on the evening.
In the end all my fish had come on the method and I only had 3 rudd to show for my efforts down the edge, I finished with 33lb10oz and this was enough for 5th out of 8!! The guy to my right had 10 carp for 38lb but the two pegs to his right took 1st and second with 40lb+ bags. Always Todber next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment