22 January 2014

22/01/2014 AAF Bishops Cannings

So it was back to the canal for a group match, however, this time with a difference as I was part of a team, myself, Tony and Rocky had come together to make The Tidworth Tiddlers.  The breakfast was good, then after booking in it was a case of dishing out bait to all who required!  And then the draw, I was nearest so did the draw, and it put myself on A5, Tony on B1 and Rocky on C7, these numbers mean nothing as they did to me at the time but….

I was 2 pegs off the swing bridge in Bishops Canning, Tony was next to the bridge inn and Rocky was again next to the bridge in Horton, looks like I might be drawing again! We bomb burst off to our respective sections and I was met with the sight of John Dewberry, Chris Perry and Danny Jones all in the car park and the section had the swing bridge in the middle. I was looking straight away at 4th or 5th in the section as I was basically competing against 4 end pegs and also the bend in the high numbers is reknowned for the skimmers and hybrids that live there. Still I had a job to do so heres how I did it:



There had been a lot of talk about how coloured the canal was so I had set myself that I would be mostly squatt and worm fishing, this however, was my first mistake as there was about 10-12 inches of visibility and a lovely tinge to the canal. Seeing this I should have changed my plan but because my heart was not truly set on today I went back to an experimenting day.
I plumbed up a short line to fish bread on a new rig to me utilising a 0.3g MB Marnhull SB, this float is designed for skimmer fishing with bread and is fished with strung shot, in this case 24 no.13’s, to try and make the most of any flow and to help work the bait. It is really designed for rock hard northern canals, not the K&A, other than that it was no.3 elastic, a 0.10mm mainline and 0.07mm bottom to a 20 B511 as usual.
The next line was the across squatt line, now in the past I have tried to fish squatt at upto 14.5m but experience has now taught me that the furthest you would want to loose feed that tiny maggot is about 11.5m, so that is where I plumbed up my 0.3g MB Canal Diamond, 0.09 to 0.07 and a 22 B590 was set on no.2 elastic to prevent the fish from splashing in the shallower water. Also I decided to set up a waggler for this line as I do not get to practice it on the canal too often, I used my 10ft Commercial king Micro F1 waggler, with a small Black magic reel loaded with 0.14mm mainline. The rig itself was a 3bb balsa canal waggler shotted with a bulk around the float and 3 no. 11’s down the line, it was finished with a 0.07mm bottom and a size 22 Colmic B957 hook.
Finally I set up a worm rig to fish at 13m down the track of the canal to the right, this was a 0.3g Frenzee FP500 on 0.16mm mainline to a 0.12mm hooklength and a 16 B560, this was rigged on yellow reflex elastic through 1 section of my Z9.
So I was just about ready at the all in, even after walking up and down the bank moaning for thirty minutes and helping John in the next peg hide his platform,

Although he will say it’s his platform, John is actually being supported by 3ft of roach in his 4ft margin!!!!

Anyway at the all-in I fed half a cup of loose bread at 5m, 4 balls of groundbait laced with squatt, pinkie and caster at 11.5m and then 10 worms chopped quite fine with 30 caster down the canal at 13m.  I then shipped out on to the punch line and the float settled before burying, a quick strike saw plenty of no.3 elastic pour out of the pole tip and after a brief struggle a 5oz roach was in the net. Next put in the float settled and dipped, a 3oz roach and again and again but fish number 5 was about ½ an ounce. This was the start of my practice day as had decided that I wold not allow myself just to sit on tiny fish so I cupped in a quarter of a cup of loose bread again, and it worked with 2 more bread roach before the tiny fish arrived again. Over the first 40 minutes I fed 5 times but had caught 15-20 good sized bread roach and a couple of small hybrids all on my original line, but at this point the line died completely so before I went across I decided to try the worm line. This was a good call with 2 3-4oz roach coming to hand (well it was proper gear) and a small perch it was soon time to move on again and I went out on the pole over the sqautt line. Immediately I could tell that this was not right with numbers of tiny fish smashing my pinkie on the pole, so I made a decision to start feeding pinkie, cut out the squatt and also to try the waggler.

The waggler was a god send as I was able to explore all around the swim and pick up odd better fish, and although John next to me had been catching slowly but steadily all day at this point I was keeping up and possibly even a little in front, but then disaster. A Kayak, like the 3 before paddled down the canal except after this one had passed straight over the top of my far bank and track line, (impressive!!) I could not get a bite and it was the same for John to my right. I managed to coax a few fish to start feeding again by cutting out loose feed and feeding small hard balls of groundbait and then casting the waggler all around it, I was casting very regularly as most bites were coming on the drop or just as the float settled.

Coming into the last hour John hit another gear catching small fish quite quick off a new line he had just started so I decided that it was big or bust, I fed a backup cup of bread at 5m then put 4 balls of groundbait over at 11.5m followed by 50 worms and a quarter of a cup of caster on the track line. Going on the bread line I managed 3 fish before having to top up and then another 1, I tried throwing nuggets of bread at the float but that just proved how much I need to work on that!!  I went across on the wag, squatt and worm rigs alternating but apart from a couple of see through roach that was it and my match finished with a whimper.

John was admitting to 2KG, but I had that so he had to have had 3? I was confident of 2KG but was kicking myself for listening to other people and not deciding to assess the peg when I got to it. I should have just fished an aggressive bread and worm match, but hindsight is the best angler I know so it was over to the scales man.


This little lot was enough for 2.240Kg, it was between 70-90 fish and John had taken 157 but he only weighed 2.67Kg so he had done me by just over a pound but I was better at the guess for his weight, Danny Jones to my left had struggled for 710g but the best news was that the pegs that John and I thought would smash it did not produce and even Pez was left with only 1.7Kg from one off the end.  But the good news did not stop there as both Tony and Rocky had also picked up section seconds, with Rocky pipping Tony to 3rd overall by a only 400g.  This did however have a down side:



This is Tony receiving his pound for doing me on weight, well done mucka I will have it back in a couple of weeks:-)  Golden pond at the weekend so that may be a fun bit of swash buckling, till then tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment