12 January 2014

Viaduct Cost Cutter, 09/01/2014

Back to Viaduct for another cost cutter, this time there were 12 of us so we were all sat around Campbell Lake. Banter abound at the draw I fancied peg 116 as it seemed to be the flyer and I was very happy when I put my hand into the bag and pulled out peg 116.

I got to my peg and was very happy to see numbers of fish showing in the gap between myself and thew guy on peg 118 so I decided that to make the most of a good draw and concentrate on carp on the wag and bomb, so I set up my black viper 11ft feeder for the job again as it had been working so well doing it on Cary with the bigger fish. This was terminated in a 0.18mm hooklength and a size 12 Guru QM1, I set it up with a ½ ounce bomb to try and reduce the amount of disturbance to the fish already in the swim. I also pulled my Champions Choice Super light waggler out of the bag with 0.14mm mainline and a 0.12mm bottom to a size 18 hook. I plumbed around the swim as soon as I got to the peg to give the fish a chance to settle before the all in and was happy with 4 ½ foot just about everywhere I looked. I set the waggler up 12 inches off the bottom and then walked up the bank to abuse Tony on Peg 110 for twenty minutes, I also spent a while chatting to the guys on 118 and 119 and it was soon time to start.
The all in was called and I cast my waggler into the open water and started to count, it didn’t take long but the missed bite was not a good start, in fact it took me another minute or so to hook my first fish, a roach of about an ounce. This happened a few more times over the next half an hour and even Rich (onefeed) on 115 was getting amongst them, this did not bode well as I have usually found that if you are picking up roach ‘dobbing’ then there are not many carp around and my fears were confirmed when peg 119 caught a carp just before a couple of them showed tight to the bank.
I decided that a change of plan was needed so I got off my box and broke out my meat waggler rod, whilst I was setting the depth and attaching a float I pinged out the bomb with a bit of punched meat, and after a while it twitched and went round. Carp number 1 was soon in the net even though I had lassoed a rig that it was trailing from its mouth, well it’s better to be lucky than good!  That was it for the tip so back out on the wag to try and put some roach together, but they were too small at ½ to an ounce each.
It was about now when the guys on 112 and 114 started catching down the edge so not being shy in coming forward I was off the box again setting up a margin rig for down to my right towards an overhanging tree. Now some of you might be saying why I didn’t set it up at the start but I thought that it was going to be better for me in the open water, and I had not seen much come out of the edge on the lake for a while. Once it was plumbed up I fed a quarter of a cup of corn and caster down the edge and went back on the wag and mag for another few roach.
The next 2 hours passed without incident, I tried all of my swims rotating through and cast the bomb as close to peg 118 as I dare as he had taken a few carp by now casting straight in front of himself. Twenty minutes from the end I was on the meat wag and missed a quick bite, enthusiasm doubled I concentrated on it again for the last twenty minutes and managed to snag a carp in the mouth with about 15 minutes to go. That was the end of the action though and I was left hoping that it was enough to save me from losing a quid to Tony as I had heard that he had been catching a few good perch and skimmers.
The scales came around and the guy on 118 had 50lb all on the bomb, to be fair he only set up one rod, I had about 15lb, with my carp going 14lb and 20 odd roach for a pound and a half, Rich on 115 had ounces and chucked back, he had caught roach on the wag but could not find a carp, then peg 114 had 60lb of edge caught fish????  Tony on 110 had managed to scrape out 7lb of perch from the stump to his left so my pound was safe. It had not been a brilliant day but it did prove a few things to me.

I am due a practice with Tony tomorrow and then Willow park on Saturday, let’s see what that brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment