24 July 2014

AAF Gp2 Match 9, Todber, 02/07/14


Back to Todber for the penultimate match of the year and unfortunately it was only Rocky and myself fishing for Tidworth, breakfast and the draw was at Skevvies and I soon discovered that following admin orders is not one of Rocky’s strong points so I paid him in and did the draw on my own.

I was off to Whitepost and Rocky was off to Park but with good anglers on good pegs it did not look too good for us, especially being an angler down so we decided to have fun and see what we could do. C8 put me in the wides on the bottom lake at Whitepost, I didn’t fancy it that much as all my kit had been swapped to river kit in the recent weeks so all I had packed was a few paste floats, a couple of shallow rigs and my bomb rod to fish a banjo across.




As it turned out it was only 16m or so across but I didn’t want to fish long all day so I set up a deck rig and a shallow rig for 13m in the hope of getting a few F1’s in the first couple of hours and I also plumbed up a paste rig to fish 2+2 at 10 o’clock, It was the same depth at 1 o’clock so that would be a backup swim if the first started to fade.

I had tried to set up a waggler for the far bank but since I snapped that up in the far bank foliage that was thrown up the bank in disgust (much to Ivan on the next pegs amusement). The all in sounded and I fed the long line with half a pot of pellet before going straight on the short line with paste, 3 carp in the first 15 minutes was a good start and I thought that if it carried on like that I would be on the way to a massive weight but it was not to be and I was soon trying to get the F1’s going shallow. My rig for this was a MW pea on 0.16mm mainline to a 0.12mm bottom and an 18 PR36. As I was fishing predominantly for F1’s the elastic was Pink Reflex and but this was woefully light against the carp that kept on muscling in and I could not get through the carp to the F1’s.

I didn’t think that they were there in the numbers that I needed so I went back onto the paste line and the rest (as they say) is history, it was never manic but by feeding half handfuls of 6mm pellet every time I hooked a fish when it was good and cupping a bit of slop in when it was slow I managed to keep a few fish coming. The rig for this was Orange Reflex elastic, 0.20mm mainline to 0.,18mm bottom, size 5 T175 and a Big ‘H’ paste float. Coming into the last hour it got harder as the fish started to back off so I swapped onto the right hand swim and tried to alternate fish and then I went through a spell of 5 foul hookers on the bounce from both swims so I decided to try something I haven’t done before. I ran a 0.4g Drennan carp dibber on some 0.20mm line and then added a hooklength the same as the other paste rig, this was set at 6-12” and in the last half an hour I managed to catch another half a dozen carp where on the deck I think I would have struggled.




The weigh in was a revelation as Ivan and I both thought that the top lake would smash it as the fish are bigger and they had been cruising and crashing as we arrived, however that was not how it turned out, I thought I had 60-70kg and weighed in a little over 60Kg odd for a section win and second in the match, Rocky won his section and the match with 75kg all on the method as only he can do and by some miracle, carrying an angler, this was enough for us to win the team match as well.

Carlsberg don’t do days fishing but if they did this would be close to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment