07 July 2014

Melksham Revival 26/06/14

The river season is finally here and I have decided to join Avon AC based out of Melksham, I decided on this club as we fish the winter league on their waters and also they have got a few well hidden carpy looking areas as well.

The first trip saw me popping down for an afternoon, I decided on a peg in the late 20’s along riverside drive as there is easy access and I would be pretty much left alone by all but dog walkers.





The plan was simple, chopped worm and caster at 6m and then a waggler under the far bank tree with maggot and hemp, I started on a 1.5g Drennan Trio float but later swapped to a 1g Caralusso Torpedo to see if it would make a difference, it was not a lot in the steady flow. Hooklengths varied from 0.12mm to 0.16mm as I got bitten off by an eel mid-session so then stepped it up a bit.  I was feeding through a bait dropper and caught small perch pretty much all day. I managed a few roach and bleak on the wag but it was only getting used to rest the pole line and it never really took off.  I ended up with just shy of 8lb of bits and really enjoyed it.


The following weekend saw me down there again and I aimed to go further upstream and find some stick float water, however I had packed too much kit and the banks were still virgin so I took discretion as the better part from valour and went back to the early 20’s.


This time I took it as a match and had multiple lines on the go, a pole line at 13m where I fished 3 rigs for roach and perch, a whip line at 3m for bleak and a waggler line. I fed a bombardment of groundbait on the pole line and again caught a lot of perch which was a nice surprise, I managed a few big bleak feeding sloppy groundbait and also some nice roach on the waggler. In all it was a nice couple of days and it was good to get back on the flowing water.

No comments:

Post a Comment